cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Chassis/FEX discovery global policy

Subramanian
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 Link in Chassis/ FEX discovery global policy.

Link is Port Chassis and Multicast Hash is disabled.

I need to modify this to 2 Link to add more chassis . If I modify the settings , would there be a disturbance ? Can I do one Fabric Interconnect at a time ? if so how .

Can someone please help me .

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just modifying the settings will not cause disruption, but if you plan to remove links between FI and IOM, and the interfaces are not in a port-channel already, you will need to re-pin those vEth interfaces.

If they are already in a port-channel, the vEth will automatically re-pin when you remove interfaces from the port-channel.

You should:

1. Change the preference.

2. Remove Cables/Interfaces that are not being used any longer (move from 4 links to 2 links)

3. Re-ack the IOM individually after you change the cabling.

When you re-ack IOM one at a time, you are taking down the A or B side respectively, so please ensure you have redundancy setup correctly in the operating system if this is a production system.

Dear Wes Austin,

Thanks for your help. I am sorry for delayed reply.  At present 4 chassis with 4 links and 1 chassis with 2 links  . All are in production .  Please find below the picture.

As per your suggestion ,

Need to change this to 2 links in the policy.

Remove 2 FCoE cables from each of 4 chassis.

Re-Acknowledge each IOM in each chassis . Subordinate side first and Primary second.

Present PolicyPresent Policy

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. Would there be any packet drop. All the chassis have proper redundancy .

I will plan to do this activity during least affected business hours.

Thanks for your kind help.

Thanks,

Subramanian

There will be packet loss, as the port-channel between the FI and IOM will need to be rebuilt when you re-acknowledge the IOM.

If redundancy is setup correctly, you can take down one side at a time (A or B) and not worry about it impacting production.

If you are worried about the potential impacts, test with one host in the chassis shutting down A or B side interfaces and ensure it's failover is working properly. You may also put the hosts in maintenance mode in a particular chassis when you conduct the re-ack procedure.

Thanks a lot Wes Austin. I will do it for a chassis over a weekend and update .

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,

Subramanian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card