Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6332-16 UP connectivity chasis

sushil.km
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All, 

As a part of new green field build, we intend to deploy 6332-16 UP FIC and hook up 7 chasis on to it. Blades would be B200 M5 and this will be integrated with Pure storage and Nexus 9K on Network side. I could not find any exact or related CVD yet for 3rd gen cisco devices and as such have few questions -

A) For connectivity to chasis, I understand we can leverage single 40 GB FIC port and Use QSFP-4SFP10G -4 splitter cables. Is this a recommended config. by doing this, we end up loosing a bit of redundancy but still we still have other path via FIC B.  What all additional config needs to be done on FICs to make this happen. Earlier, it would discover chasis and everything was 10Gig. Do i need to setup some thing on ports to tell them to expect 4 ports on chasis ? 

B) Same time, I am trying to leverage this 40 g x4 nos of ports for network connectivity to Nexus 9k via a port channel. Is there any constraints in doing this. 

C) for Storage, we intend to leverage 4 ports out of 16 Unified ports and run them at 16 gig for storage connectivity. 

D ) what all SFP's do we think, we need to order for above design. the SFP numbering is pretty confusing and same time, ordering a wrong SFP is a costly affair. 

how will licencing works for above. By default, it comes with 8 - unified port & 4 - 40 gig licence ports. Do i need to buy a single licence for 40G ports or 4 licence for this single port as it will use 4 ports on chasis. My understanding is in total for 7 chasis - 14 x 40G licence should be enough with 4 x 40 G for network. 

Same time, willl appreciate if any one point me to a 6332 CVD and Cisco UCS licencing guide. 

Thanks for all your comments and help

Regards

Sushil

2 Accepted Solutions
4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a look at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/ucs_flashstack_vsi_vm6_designs.pdf as this references the 6332 and Pure Storage.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk. Is there any publicly available documentation for licencing the 6332-16 IP FICs ..

Thanks everyone for all the help. clears up almost 80 % of the doubt i had. 

Another confusing thing is 

> Traditionally in 61xx or 62xx we knew that all are 10 gig unified ports and knew that 4x 4 cables would go between chasis & FIC's.

How do chasis connect to 6332-16 UP ports. Primary reason for confusion is QSFP-4SFP10G  cables with picture below. this gives me the impression that i can connect One side of chassis ( All 4 uplinks ) to a single 40 gig port on 6332 and save on port licences. Same time, i did saw some configuration examples as well for these to work. 

qsfp_4_copper_-_big_3.jpg

So Does above understanding of mine is correct or we need to use 4x 40gig Cables between Chasis & FIC's. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card