Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C210 M2 SAS Cable to Extender

Good morning,

i've a Cisco C210 M2 with a SAS Extender and a Cisco 1064E Mezzanine RAID Controller; This server already have installed 4 HDD SAS 600 GB and I want to install additional 4 HDD;

Because I need to export all the 8 HDD in HBA Mode as it is now, i've buy a LSI Megaraid 9211-8i (which is know as one of the best FreeNAS SAS Controller) but i need to buy another SFF-8087 cable to connect the extender to the controller.

I've search everywhere for the correct cable (R210-SASCBL-002=      Long SAS Cable for C210 (connects to SAS Extender) ) but without results.

Can i connect the Controller with the Extender with a SFF-8087 standard cable as this : https://www.startech.com/Cables/Drive/SAS/50cm-Serial-Attached-SCSI-SAS-Cable-SFF-8087-to-SFF-8087~SAS878750

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Alfredo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Alfredo,

I have the LSI MegaRaid 9261-8i with SAS Extender (max 8 SAS disks).
With standard SAS Cable the drives are not reconized but with Cisco cable everything is fine.
I checked the pinout on the cable and there is some differences "like cross / straight" cable.

I never used other controllers type.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello Alfredo,

Last year, I had this problem too and tried to use a standard SFF-8087 / SFF-8087 with the SAS Extender, unfortunately the pinout is not the same and drives are not detected by the Raid controler.

Today, I have two other C210 M2 UCS and I could not find any other Cisco Long SAS cable as the product is end of sales since 2015...

I will try to use the Short SAS Cable (SASCBLSHORT-003) which has some spare parts on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-SASCBLSHORT-003-2-Short-SAS-Cables-for-UCS-C210-Server-for-SAS-Expand-/252678925596?hash=item3ad4d66d1c:g:ctgAAOSwnHZYTpKH). I hope the length will be sufficient and that the pinout is the same as the long cable because it is made for SAS Expander.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

Hello Stéphane,

thanks for your reply, I've still not tried the SAS Extender with the LSI 9211-8i Controller and the Standard SFF Cable buyed a month ago. I have also a Cisco UCS C210-M2 LFF with 2 SATA HDD and i've tried to install only the controller and all things gone right.

Have you tried using the Cisco 9261-8i or an OEM Controller. I've asking this becouse maybe it's the controller that not recognize the Extender with the Standard Cable.

Kindly Regards

Alfredo

Hello Alfredo,

I have the LSI MegaRaid 9261-8i with SAS Extender (max 8 SAS disks).
With standard SAS Cable the drives are not reconized but with Cisco cable everything is fine.
I checked the pinout on the cable and there is some differences "like cross / straight" cable.

I never used other controllers type.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

Hi Stéphane,
 as you said, yesterday I've installed the two short cable to the customer server with positive result with my LSI 9211-8i controller.
Many thanks
Alfredo

Hi Alfredo,

Great news ! It's also good to know.

I wish you all the best for the futur with your servers !
Stéphane

Hi Alfredo,

I received yesterday the "short" sas cable by Cisco and it worked! In fact, short cables are only 12cm shorter than long sas cables :-)

So if you don't find long cable on internet, you may buy short one.

Regards,
Stéphane

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card