Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure vlan in UCS Manager

Good day.
Maybe not in this topic.

We have UCS Mini 5108. The scheme of connection such - the switch cisco --> UCS --> ESXi.
On one blade, you need to install ESXi with several vlans on one interface and broadcast to vSwitch ESXi. We set up a service profile, set up a network interface and cannot apply several vlans to it. Vlan, which works in native, i.e. network on the VM only from this vlan. From the server to which we will transfer these VMs (Connection scheme: switch - server - connected ESXi), vlans are sent to the virtual switch in ESXI. It turns out an intermediate link that does not let this UCS Manager.

Tell me what else needs to be configured, please?

Thanks.

P.s.

1.on other blades, the network interface profile for FCM (Hyper-v) is configured - several vlans on the same interface with one native.

2. Trunks on ports for UCS and a regular server are configured on the switch.

3. in attachment setting

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Georgii_starlight ,

Firstly, let's get your picture inline so I can see while answering

image.png

BTW - when posting on the forum, add your pictures inline (click the Camera icon and simply click in, then paste your picture in the grey area of the dialogue that appears, or select the files.) This means you pictures are actually SEEN (a) in the email that gets sent to subscribers and (b) anyone who looks at this post in the future. Adding pictures as attachments... puts your submission into the TL;DR category.

But back to your problem

I suspect the step you missed was adding the VLANs to UCS Manager in the first place:

• Navigate to LAN > Lan Cloud > VLANs
    • Click the ⨁ Add icon to add the VLANs you require [Although there is another way to do this as you'll see later]

image.png

• This action will add the following to the underlying NXOS configuration on both Fabric Interconnects
vlan vlan_id
name vlan_name
  • Now that the VLANs have been created. you can add those VLANs to the virtual ethernet interfaces that represent the vNICs you were examining in your post
  • Navigate to LAN > Policies > root > vNIC Templates > vNIC Template ESX‑a >| [General] tab
    [This is near the LAN > Policies > root > vNIC Templates > vNIC Template ESX‑a >| [VLANs] tab your diagram shows]
  •  Click Modify VLANs
    • Mark the check-box next to the VLAN you added earlier

image.png

• Did you notice that this dialogue also has a Create VLAN option? - this does the same job as the previous step.

This has the effect of adding the following to the veth interface in the underlying NXOS

interface Vethernet interface_number
switchport trunk allowed vlan vlan_id

Or, if you also tick the Native VLAN option

interface Vethernet interface_number
switchport trunk native vlan vlan_id
switchport trunk allowed vlan vlan_id

Now I suspect that your configuration will ALSO have a vNIC template called ESX-b

If this is the case,  you MAY need to add the VLAN to that vNIC Template, unless you find the vNNIC template ESX-b is bound to ESX-a (which it probably is - but check)

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi @RedNectar 

Initially vlan created, below is the screen

UCS-vlan.PNG

Next

LAN > Policies > root > vNIC Templates > vNIC Template ESX‑a

UCS-modify vlan.PNG

Then I did not understand what to do next. If it is already registered on the switch - switchport mode trunk. Those. skip all vlan.

template ESX-b created earlier  

Hi @Georgii_starlight ,

Remember the check boxes under LAN > Policies > root > vNIC Templates > vNIC Template ESX‑a are controlling the VLANs sent by the Fabric Interconnect to the ESXi host AND which VLANs the Fabric Interconnects ACCEPT from the ESXi host. Just like:

switchport trunk allowed vlans_list

If you ESXi host can't see the VLANs coming from the Fabric Interconnects, or if the Fabric Interconnects can't see the VLANs coming from the ESXi host, then 

switchport mode trunk

on the switch will mean nothing, because the switch will never see the VLANs.

So. Back to your problem - originally you said

We set up a service profile, set up a network interface and cannot apply several vlans to it

So which VLANs can't you apply?  If the VLANs are CSV, DMZ and FMTC as your picture shows

image.png

Then you need to pick ticks in the check-boxes for CSV, DMZ and FMTC on the template: LAN > Policies > root > vNIC Templates > vNIC Template ESX‑a 

Your 2nd picture does NOT show check boxes next to these VLANs. You need to show me:

image.png

Did you do this step?

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Don't forget to add the VLAN to the ESXi vSwitch.

Cisco TAC has documented this for Cisco Hyperflex, but applies to UCS generically:

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card