Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect FI6248 to F6454 for vMotion migration

mariotorres1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I'm working in a work plan for a renewal infraestructure and migration. Actually we have and UCS FI6248 with 5 blades server b200 m4, all with vmware. 

We purchased a new UCS environment with FI6454 and 5 blades servers b200 M5. We need to migrate VMs from B200 M4 to B200 M5. I´ve plan to connect with a 10 gb sfp cable FI6248 to FI6454, and perform vmotions tasks and the vMotion traffic send trough these 10 gb connection. We have a vlan por vmotion that only is tagged on FI6248 A. 

Is possible to works this escenario? 

1 Reply 1

KyoCode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mario,

connecting all FIs back to back would be a little bit complex, since you'll need to address disjoint networks for just vMotion as explained here: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/unified-computing/white_paper_c11-692008.pdf

I'd say you can expand the vMotion vlan outside of the old FI to the new one (taking care of having 9K MTU) and just configure vMotion in the new one, within the same subnet.

If subnet is an issue, you can expand it by disabling DRS and reconfiguring it, then you can reconfigure it back.

AIV.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card