Helpful
Replies

Differences between inband and outband management IP

Amr Hafez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

What is the difference between inband mgmt IP and outband mgmt IP 

and How could I configure the inband as when I tried to configure it I received the following error:

vlan"xyz"resolved to unsupported vlan ID 

as in attached

BTW the procedure I used to create inband mgmt IP

1- create vlan group includes all vlans created globally (vlan of data traffic and mgmt traffic)

2- modify the inband profile from the LAN tab to be: 

Inband vlan group: the created in point 1

Network: vlan of data traffic

3- from service profile of certain server I changed the inband mgmt with static IP ( in the range of data traffic vlan) and use the network of data traffic vlan

Thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Out-Of-Band (OOB) Versus Inband

In earlier releases of UCS software, the management IP address that is used to access the CIMC on a server could only be accessed OOB. In OOB, the traffic traverses the fabric interconnect via the management port to the network.

Now with UCS Version 2.2, you are also able to access the CIMC via an inband address. Traffic to and from the inband address traverses through the fabric interconnect via the fabric uplink port. 

Did you follow the procedure in

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/integrated-management-controller/118367-configure-cimc-00.html#anc6

Thanks Walter

You are very helpful

I tried the procedure you provide me with

The management IP range 192.168.2.0/24 vlan 2

the data traffic IP range 192.168.3.0/24 vlan 3

I tried to use different IP range(192.168.4.0/24 vlan 4)  for inband management IP and I can open the inband KVM but the VMs on the server could not be accessed (the uplink ports are trunk for vlan 3,4) and the ports in the core SW are trunk for vlan 3,4 also.

also I tried the same range of data traffic but I could not open the KVM inband and the error of vlan"xyz"resolved to unsupported vlan ID  appeared again 

so any advice 

thanks in advance

Amr

Hi Amr,

Try what I recommended in the  post below  it has steps and some pictures as well (see screenshot).  Note that you don't need to associate any uplink interfaces to the vlan group used for the inband configuration.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12185011/management-blades-outband-and-inband-ip

Hi Manuel,

Which one is recommend by cisco weather inband mgmt IP or outband mgmt IP.

We dont recommend one of the other, it depends on what you wants to do/achieve.

OOB goes through the management ports and Inband through the uplinks.

-Kenny

Now i got a clear idea about OOB and inband 

Thanks keny  :) :)

Anytime !

Dont forget to rate helpful answers in this thread :)

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card