Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi boot from LUN vs. Local disk

harrygranger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Achieving "full stateless" with booting ESXi from LUN is a great idea but I noticed that some users are still deploying ESXi on local disk.

Are there any "real world problems" with boot LUN method?

Thanks,

Harry

2 Replies 2

gkumark
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Harry,

As you mentioned booting from a LUN is a great idea. Especially when you are running ESX on UCS blades with booting from a storage LUN, even if you have a blade failure, you just have to move the service profile to a different blade and your server is back up without involving your storage/SAN team to assign the LUN to different initiator WWPN.

As long as you have redundant SAN/Storage infrastructure, there is no real world problems as such with boot LUN. There could be certain application requirements which forces some customers to boot from local disk,  but I am sure major portion of the servers are booted from SAN/iSCSI  LUN in real world.

-Ganesh

Initially we deployed ESXi on our B200 M3 blades with the USB key drive. Since then we acquired a block storage array and new ESXi hosts have been deployed with boot-from-SAN. No problems to speak off with BFS. I would be more hesitant with BFS for a physical Windows server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: