Views
Helpful
Replies

fabric to N5K connection's best practice

Ron Baduach
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Guys ,

We are about to create a new environment, and we want to do it in the best way.

I know there are mainly two options for FI to Nexus 5K connections  - let's call it "cross" and "straight"

What is a "newer" topology ?

And which benefit do i get from the 2nd topology [the "straight"]

thanks guys !

7 Replies 7

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

VPC (cross) is generally the recommended under most situations, as it allows both sides to continue connectivity even if one of the N5Ks were to go down.

Also, it keeps communication streams within the same VLAN going from FI-A to FI-B (and visa versa) from having to switch through 2 N5Ks, rather than one, where each N5K is connected to both FIs

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk

What about simplicity ? is that right that troubleshooting will be more easier in the "straight" topology ?

Also, in the "straight" topology, if one N5K/FI will go down, still all of the blades will be able to go out, but only from one side - right ? [i mean that one vHBA and the vNICs will still be up ]

If you only want to create northbound port-channels with one N5k/FI pair, then yes, there is a little less configuration you have to do on the N5ks (no difference on the UCSM config).

I think the enhanced redundancy outweighs the extra config lines in the N5Ks by a lot.

My 2¢

Kirk...

OK Kirk, thanks for sharing this .

So now, i'm little bit confused about what is better [you can understand better by seeing the draws] :

1. A "Full VPC" which means port-channel of unified [FC & Network] uplinks from each FI to             both N5Ks ?

2. Separate the FC traffic, and keep it straight, and make only the network uplinks with VPC ?

[please note that we have only 6 40 GB ports on each devices [FI & N5K], so also if you can suggest what is better to use it for, i'll be glad . (i think it's better to use it foe the FC traffic, but i want to ask the experts .

Sorry for all the mess, and for all the question, but i'll be thankful if someone will be able to make things clear

thanks a lot in advance !!

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116188-configure-fcoe-00.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/116248-configure-fcoe-00.html

explains it all !

Hi Walter , great documentation ! thanks !

I was familiar with the 1st one, but the 2nd one is great

we decided to use "Design_01" , but with only one FCoE uplink .

I think now that we'll add one more FCoE uplink in order to create a Port-Channel /

Thank you all guys for all the info & assistant ! helped a lot !

B.kablawi90
Level 1
Level 1

The best practice is depending no your requirements and needs, both of the mentioned topology can work

If you you want high scale and redundant topology go with the cross (vPC) if you want a simple topology go with the straight one, but only one side will be sending the traffic in case of a failure in on of the upstream switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card