cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to collect all UCS-C series minor serial numbers

ray.maslanka
Level 5
Level 5

Assuming one is deploying a stand alone C220 chassis which will be managed through CIMC, is there an efficient way to collect all the serial numbers for all the minor parts in the chassis?

Cutting and pasting from the GUI is painful because complete rows and / or areas (i.e. storage adapter tab) can't be copied. It needs to be done one "cell" at a time.

Other posts indicate using "connect debug-shell"  or "show server inventory", but seem to be available only on B series or possibly different chassis versions.

The server_inventory.txt you get as a result of Admin | Utilities | Generate Technical Support Data unfortunately does not include serial numbers or much detail.

Now I'm looking at simply running the following and massaging it into a pleasant spreadsheet:

show chassis
scope chassis
show cpu detail
show dimm detail
show psu detail
ow pciadapter-pid detail
show network-adapter detail
show storageadapter detail

Does anyone have any better suggestions?  I'm currently looking at CIMC v1.5(2) if it makes a difference.

2 Replies 2

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are these rack servers managed by UCSM ?

If yes, you can export the inventoy that will include serial number information.

If not, we can use XML API to extract necessary information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/api/b_cimc_api_book_chapter_01.html

As as example,following XML query would return server model and chassis serial number

""

The doc has detailed information about each class.

Padma

Padma,

Thank you for the suggetion but I hoped it was clearer that UCSM wasn't vailable when I wrote "Assuming one is deploying a stand alone C220 chassis which will be managed through CIMC...".

With that, here is one option for those that are inclined to do some scripting / coding: http://webmaxtor.blogspot.com/2013/11/ucs-rack-server-serial-numbers.html

I also believe the newer CIMC and UCS chassis firmware versions provide more related information than was available at the time.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card