cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use syslog with TLS (SSL) on UCS Central ?

Hi,

I work on UCS Central 2.0(1q). My goal is to forward syslog in an encrypted fashion. I can't figure-out how to do that.

Based on this documentation :
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/cli-reference-manual/2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral-CLI-Reference-Manual-Release2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral-CLI-Reference-Manual-Release2-0_chapter_01000.html#task_E88904505190422E81C0628F7428E...

Log encryptions is not mentioned (not even TCP).

Its there a way to accomplish that? Where can I find the documentation about it?

1 Reply 1

Unfortunately, UCS Central 2.0(1q) does not support encrypted syslog forwarding out of the box. As you've mentioned, the documentation does not cover log encryption or TCP forwarding.

However, there is a workaround that you can consider, which involves using an intermediate syslog server. In this setup, you would forward the logs from UCS Central to an intermediate syslog server that supports encrypted syslog forwarding. Then, you can configure that intermediate syslog server to forward the logs securely to your desired destination.

Here's a high-level overview of the steps:

1. Set up an intermediate syslog server that supports encrypted syslog forwarding, such as rsyslog, syslog-ng, or another similar solution.
2. Configure UCS Central to forward its logs to the intermediate syslog server. You can follow the documentation you've provided to set up syslog forwarding: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/cli-reference-manual/2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral-CLI-Reference-Manual-Release2-0/b_CiscoUCSCentral-CLI-Reference-Manual-Release2-0_chapter_01000.html#task_E88904505190422E81C0628F7428E...
3. Configure the intermediate syslog server to forward the logs securely to your desired destination. The exact configuration will depend on the syslog server solution you choose. You may need to consult the documentation for that specific syslog server for details on how to set up encrypted forwarding.

Please note that this is a workaround and may not be officially supported by Cisco. However, it should allow you to achieve your goal of forwarding syslog messages in an encrypted fashion.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card