cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hyper-v on UCS inquiry

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a VMware person and have been running it on UCS for a while now.  Works great.  I'm now looking at moving into Hyper-V for a project that I have.  I've been trying to find specifics on regard to Hyper-V and UCS but have been unable to find specifics.  I have a few questions that I'm hoping somebody could help me out with. 

1)  To setup a hyper-v cluster with clustered shared volumes how many network interfaces do you need.  From documentation that I've read you need 1 for management of the system, 1 for live migration, 1 for clusterd shared volumes, and 1 for the virtual machine network.  In addition the live migration and clustered shared network network interfaces can be in non-routable type subnets correct?

2)  How do you setup a non-routable network in UCS to be used by hyper-v.  For instance if I wanted to use 192.168.2.0/24 subnet for the Live Migration interfaces on my Hyper-V hosts how would you do that?  Or do I just use a routable subnet.

3)  Is there any specific documentation that steps you through how to setup a Hyper-V cluster in UCS.   I've read this documentation and some others on Microsoft's site ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732181(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_Connect ) but it doesn't give details on configuring networking specifically.

Thanks for the assistance.

1 Reply 1

m.finlayson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Russ,

I have been using Hyper-v on UCS.  Hopefully, I have some answers for you.

1. In UCS manager, you need to define vNICs for the following items (use a template )

• System management - used for remote desktop, etc
  • Live migration - used during live migration
  • Cluster communication - used for heartbeat, etc
  • Hyper-V access - this port, once defined/dedicated in hyper-v "dissapears" from the cluster. Do not allow host access to the port
  • Storage network(s) - This is dependant on your storage.  I use an EMC that has 2 storage processors (dual head) and 4 network ports (a1,a2,b1,b2)  Each port on my storage box is configured for a different vlan (redundant path, etc) therefore I have defined 4 vNICs for iscsi traffic and assigned each an approriate vlan
  • If you use Fiber Channel storage for CSV then you need to define an HBA for it, extra vNICs are not required

1-2.  Creating an internal network is easy.

• Using UCS manager define a vlan that is not in use on the network "outside" the UCS.  Precaution, no conflicting vlan ID's - don't use vlan id 202 in the UCS if you also use id 202 outside the UCS.  You will need to assign the vlan to vNIC templates and adopt an IP number schema that is not in use outside the UCS i.e. 192.168.0.1/24.  Hardcode the IP within the OS on the UCS nodes and your packets should travel between nodes.

3.  The most difficult part is determnining how you will setup your server template.  After that, install MS OS and follow the directions you linked to remembering to hardcode all you IP's

Watch some awesome  videos on hyper-v network stuff presented by http://www.savilltech.com/videos.html

• CSV and NetFT Traffic Deep Dive - explains how MS weaves the CSV in to NTFS (reminds me of unionfs, kinda)
  • Windows 2008 R2 Networks and HA
  • Overview of Windows Server 2008 R2 Live Migration
  • Thanks John Savill!

Bunch of good links on hyper-v for reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753637(v=ws.10).aspx Ben Armstrong presents a lot of good info as well, Thanks Ben!

Have fun!

Matt Finlayson

Washington State University

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card