cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HYPERFLEX, can i not use a hypervysor?

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

Can i Use the Hyperflex without a Hypervisor? can i create VM directly to the Cluster?

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco  HyperFlex is hardware on top depends on model it come with pre-build  esxi and you can start building VM's

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/products/hyperconverged-infrastructure/hyperflex-hx-series/index.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi vivarock12,

First of all, you have to undestand that a VM is a VIRTUAL machine. It does not exist on any piece of hardware by itself, it needs an underlying Operating System that "virtualises" the underlying hardware componenets - RAM, CPU, NIC & Storage (HDD/SSD).

This underlying Operating System is referred to as a Hypervisor

It is impossible in any Hyperconverged Infrastrure (HCI) to deploy a VM without  a Hypervisor of some kind. So, no, you can't use Hyperflex without a Hypervisor.  And creating a VM directly to the cluster is like trying to drive a bus without wheels. So to answer your second question: No, you cannot  create VM directly to the Cluster. 

Fortunately with Hyperflex, you get a choice of Hypervisors. You can deploy your Hyperflex cluster using either a VMware ESXi hypervisor, or a Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor.  The entire cluster must be deployed with the same hypervisor because the hypervisor needs to have specific extensions incorporated to present the Storage component of the entire cluster as a single storage device. With VMware, the strorage device is presented as an NFS store, with Hyper-V as an SMB share.

There is also one more component that is needed whenever multiple hypervisors are to be centrally managed, and this component is even more important when a distributed storage sytem has to be presented as a single device. This component is of course the Hypervisor Manager. With VMware, this is vSphere, for Hyper-V this is (typically) Microsoft System Center.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Well let me reformulate the question then.

Is it posible to install multiple OS on the hyperflex or is it just seen as one entity with one OS (Ex: ESXI) or can i have like partitions of the hyperflex for multiple OS?

Thanks for the help.

Saludos,

Gerardo Andree Mejía

You need to maintain Clarity here ? Multiple OS?   you mean windows / Linux / so on ?

There are 2 different here :

One is Hypervisors - you have different available in the market, it will be installed on top of Compute hardware hyperflex provide.

Hyper-visors can accommodate any OS like Windows/10/2012 so on,  Also Linux Flavours. that is called VM.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What i ment is not a hypervisor of type 1 that is install directly on the server what i ment is:
Can i make partitions of the Hyperflex and install in one partitions a ESXI in another a SW in another a CentOS.

Some thing like this:

APP  | APP  |APP

SO    |SO    |SO

---   |---    | --- (with out the Hypervisor)

HardWare

The thing is can i have multiple OS install directly to the hyperflex? from what i have read it cant basicly the solutions is focus on Virtualization but i wan to know if is posible.

The answer to... 

Can i make partitions of the Hyperflex and install in one partitions a ESXI in another a SW in another a CentOS?

is easy. It is quite simply:

NO

The reason being is that Hyperflex controlls the entire storage space of every node via a Storage Controller, and the storage controller is a VM that works with either ESXi or Hyper-V. There may be other choices in the future, but it will ALWAYS be a VM, and always require a Hypervisor. That is what it was designed for from the ground up.

In fact, the whole idea of a Hyperconverged Infrastructure no matter what brand will always be integrated with a Hypervisor of some kind. Back to my bus analogy, the Hypervisor is the engine of the bus!

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replys, and the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card