Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperflex v3.5(2x) vs 4.0(2x)

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi experts,

The HX release notes tell me that the Recommended version for Hyperflex is currently 3.5(2h) unless your setup has "Specific configurations that were enabled in 4.0(2a)"

The same document tells me that support for release 3.5(2x) will cease on July 8, 2021- just over a year away, but support for release 4.0(2x) is Aug 11, 2022

BOTH release 3.5(2x) and 4.0(2x) are in the Current long-lived release train

Can someone tell me what the big deal is that is preventing CIsco from recommending that 4.0(2x) be installed on ALL systems, given that it is supposed to be a Long-lived release?

In other words, what do I say to my customer who asks me why I'm installing a release that will be obsolete in just over 12 months when there there is a "long-lived" release that has a much longer lifespan?  What makes 3.5(2x) Sooo much better than 4.0(2x)?  Or the way I see it, what makes 4.0(2x) sooo much WORSE that 3.5(2x) that Cisco are too scared to recommend it, even though it is a long term release and has been in production for over 3 months?

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
5 Replies 5

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since 4.0(2b) was released less than 30 days ago. I would guess that this release may become the recommended code once it has more "air" time. 

Hi @Eric Rose ,

It is not unusual for a minor release to sit for a while before becoming mainstream.  But my question was not specifically about 4.0(2b), but the major release 4.0(2x)

From the Recommended Cisco HyperFlex HX Data Platform Software Releases - for Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Systems document I mentioned before:

https-::www.cisco.com:c:en:us:td:docs:hyperconverged_systems:HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware:release-guidelines-and-support-timeline:b-recommended-hx-data-platform-sw-releases.png

My calculation says today (20 May 2020) is 99 days since the software was first available for download, or 10.86% of the entire lifecycle of the release, given the last date for support is 11 Aug 2022.

If a car manufacturer came out with a new model, and 99 days later was still saying "Unless you really need these additional features, we recommend you buy the old model", I'd have serious concerns about the new model.

I actually have to make this call for a customer soon, and the decision of HX version may influence the call of which version of Hyper-V they use, given Windows 2019 is only recommended with version 4.0(2x).  With v4.0(2x) being so long in the repair shop, I'm hesitant to recommend it, which pushes their Windows install back to Windows 2016.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

HI @RedNectar ,

I understand what you are saying. I will inquire when the documentation will be updated.

Thanks,

Hooray,

I see Hyperflex v4.0(2b) is now sharring equal "Preferred" status with 3.5(2h)!

EqualAtLast.jpg

I am glad that you noticed it was starred over the weekend! Have a great day! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card