Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of Re-seating an IOM module in a UCS Blade Chassis

sonphamvan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
My customer recently has a problem with an IOM module on the right of a UCS Blade Chassis.
When my customer issue the command "show chassis environment iom", all other status of the result is operable, the io1 is operable, except the overall status of io2 is inoperable.

I want to re-seat this IOM module to make it back to operable status.
Does this action cause lose existing connection? 
After re-seating, do I have Re-acknowledge the Chassis?

Any advice is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reseating IOM 2 should not impact the workload, if you have the necessary redundancy configured (e.g. vNIC failover, vNIC & vHBA multipathing in the OS).

You do not have to reacknowledge the chassis after re-inserting the IOM.

Before physically reaseating IOM2, you can try acknowledging the IOM and if that does not work, reset the IOM.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reseating IOM 2 should not impact the workload, if you have the necessary redundancy configured (e.g. vNIC failover, vNIC & vHBA multipathing in the OS).

You do not have to reacknowledge the chassis after re-inserting the IOM.

Before physically reaseating IOM2, you can try acknowledging the IOM and if that does not work, reset the IOM.

ah... I  want to be more clear:
Does acknowledging/resetting the IOM only make impact on IOM itself and these can not impact on other IOM and the chassis as well ?

Correct, as long as you operate on one IOM (reacknowledge, reset or reseat) only, it does not impact the other one.

More information about IOM management (including the impact of these operations) is available at Cisco UCS Manager Infrastructure Management Guide, Release 4.2 - I/O Module Management 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card