Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

installing UCS-MSTOR-M2 in UCS-C220-M5

Hello all.

I'm trying to upgrade the on-board storage from the UCS-MSTOR-SD to UCS-MSTOR-M2. The SD's were working without issue, however I read that going forward due to reliability with Vsphere 7+ it would not be supported. (Old adage fits here - if its not broke don't fix it lol!!)

New UCS-MSTOR-M2 is seen but I don't see any options to configure\sync it. BTW, I attached two 240GB M2's to the mini-storage.

Anyway after installing the new UCS-MSTOR-M2, I not certain of the activation procedures and was hoping someone here could assist.The UCS-MSTOR-SD installed after I inserted the mini-storage and synced with striping.

Thank you all in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Problem solved.

I created a new esxi install on one of the M2 ssd's and later I will migrate\backup all VM's to the second M2 ssd for disaster recovery.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

I should add that both M2 SSD's attached to the UCS-MSTOR-M2 show up in ESXi under both adapters and devices categories, so I don't believe there's anything wrong with the SSD's.

Problem solved.

I created a new esxi install on one of the M2 ssd's and later I will migrate\backup all VM's to the second M2 ssd for disaster recovery.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Seems like you figured it out.

For reference the UCS-MSTOR-M2 is a "pass through" controller and has zero configuration through CIMC. The OS has to do any configuration / mirroring.

There is another PID UCS-M2-HWRAID which plugs in the same slot with the same M.2 drives and DOES allow for configuration/RAID through CIMC.

See:
> Table 29 Mini Storage Carrier/Boot-Optimized RAID Controller
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m5-sff-specsheet.pdf

— Choose the UCS-MSTOR-M2 mini storage carrier for controlling the M.2 SATA drives
with no RAID control.
— Choose the UCS-M2-HWRAID Boot-Optimized RAID controller for hardware RAID
across the two internal SATA M.2 drives. The Boot-Optimized RAID controller holds
up to 2 matching M.2 SATA drives.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card