Helpful
Replies

iSCSI boot issue with VIC1280

fsaint-michel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My context :

I want to do iSCSI boot from UCS to Netapp.

My blades are B230 M2 with VIC1280 with FI 6248.

Upstream switch is Catalyst 4500X with port channel connected to FI6248 (trunk native vlan 504).

I do all the configuration described here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_011101.html

(assuming that configuration with M81KR is the same as VIC1280) but when try to boot, i always have "initialize error 4" and the command iscsi_get_config gives me :

adapter 1/2/1 (mcp):1# iscsi_get_config

vnic iSCSI Configuration:

----------------------------

vnic_id: 13

link_state: Up

Initiator Cfg:

initiator_state: ISCSI_INITIATOR_READY

initiator_error_code: ISCSI_BOOT_NIC_NO_ERROR

vlan: 0

dhcp status: false

IQN: iqn.1992-08.com.:ucs:14

IP Addr: 10.50.4.149

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.50.4.1

Target Cfg:

Target Idx: 0

State: INVALID

Prev State: ISCSI_TARGET_GET_SESSION_INFO

Target Error: ISCSI_TARGET_LOGIN_ERROR

IQN: iqn.1992-08.com.netapp:sn.84170372

IP Addr: 10.50.4.40

Port: 3260

Boot Lun: 0

Ping Stats: Failed - Connection timed out

Target Idx: 1

State: INVALID

Prev State: ISCSI_TARGET_GET_SESSION_INFO

Target Error: ISCSI_TARGET_LOGIN_ERROR

IQN: iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:2k8storage-win2008r2-target

IP Addr: 10.50.4.32

do anyone has done iscsi boot with vic1280 ?

Thanks !

10 Replies 10

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are you able to ping the iSCSI target interface from initiator  ( 10.50.4.149 )

IP Addr: 10.50.4.40

connect adapter x/y/z

connect

attach-mcp

iscsi_ping  ?

[EDIT]  Also, double check for any typos in target IQN --    iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:2k8storage-win2008r2-target

Padma

He will not be able to ping it.  The last command resolved from an iscsi_get_config is a ping test from the initiator to the target.

Francois - What is the target you're trying to ping?  Looks like a Windows host by the IQN name you're using.  Are you using MS iSCSI target software?  If so, please provide a screen shot of it's configuration.

As a test, when the blade is booting break into the BIOS and then see if you can ping the initiator address (10.50.4.149) FROM your Windows target.  If you can't reach it, then you have a layer 2 problem somewhere in your path.  I would setup an SVI (Virtual interface) for the VLAN your iSCSI initiator is using on the Cat 4500.  Then using the ping test Padma detailed above, try to ping the 4500.  If you can get there, you have an issue northbound, is not, something on UCS is mis-configured.

Regards,

Robert

gkumark
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The issue is resolved after configuring the right native VLAN between FI and uplink switch.

yes that's it !!

Thank you Ganesh...

But by now, ESXi won't see lun iscsi !

Does anyone has ISCSI booted on ESXi5 or ESXi5.1 ? Which drivers has to be loaded at installation ?

Thank you !

I have tested to boot from iSCSI SAN :

- WIN2008R2 : load drivers cisco vic ==> lun seen & installation OK

- CENTOS 6.3 : drivers already in kernel ==> lun seen & installation OK

- ESXi 5/5.1 : ==> lun not seen & installation failed

- ESXi 5 modified by Cisco :

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CISCO-ESXI-5.0.0-U1-28AUG2012&productId=229

==> lun not seen & installation failed

- ESXi5 modified with drivers loaded : fnic build 758653 version 1.5.0.8, enic build 564611 version 2.1.2.22

==> lun not seen & installation failed

Does anyone has the iSCSI boot working in ESXi 5/5.1 ? Are there new drivers ?

Thanks

This was caused by the misconfiguration in NetApp storage. This is resolved now I believe by updating the NetApp storage.

Hi Genesh,

I am having a similar issue with this on NetApp.  Via the the MCP the iSCSI configuration shows that it is able to ping the target, but I get the "Initialize error 1" on boot.

What configurations did you have to change on the NetApp in order to get this to work?

Thanks

initialize error 1 looks like some config issue on the service profile. Please verify if you have entered all the require values correctly in the service profile. Double check IP address, IQN etc.

Still if it doesnt work, check if the connection gets established. While server is booting up, SSH to the UCS and run below commands and post the output.

connect adapter x/y/z (chassis ID / Server ID / Adapter Number)

connect

attach-mcp

iscsi_get_config

-Ganesh

Ganesh,

Thanks for your reply!  I had to correct the target iqn info.

hi michel,

i just want to ask? for winserver2008R2 where you install it? on storage? storage over network using iSCSI? because i cannot install winserver2008R2, no drive found, the LUN what i create in storage before isnt seen when i try to install winserver2008R2, but when i try with ESXi 5.5 all working fine, i can seen LUN and install it normally, if you can help me, please give me a suggestion. thanks

fadli

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card