Views
Helpful
Replies

ISCSI Boot issue

varokyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I am setting up ISCSI boot lun .I have configured the IQN,IP and IQN target (which is from netapp storage).Iam getting Initiator error 1 and ISCSI login error ,were there is no chap login configured at storage or ucs side. below is out put from iscsi_get_config...Not sure why iam getting ISCSI target login error .Please help

adapter 1/1/1 (mcp):1# iscsi_get_config

vnic iSCSI Configuration:

----------------------------

vnic_id: 17

host_id: 0

link_state: Up

Initiator Cfg:

initiator_state: ISCSI_INITIATOR_READY

initiator_error_code: ISCSI_BOOT_NIC_NO_ERROR

vlan: 0

dhcp status: false

IQN: iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi:15

IP Addr: x.x.x.x

Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0

Gateway: x.x.x.x

Target Cfg:

Target Idx: 0

State: INVALID

Prev State: ISCSI_TARGET_GET_SESSION_INFO

Target Error: ISCSI_TARGET_LOGIN_ERROR

IQN: iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi:15

IP Addr: x.x.x.x

Port: 3260

Boot Lun: 0

Ping Stats: Success (12.515ms)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

check eg.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/cisco_ucs_vmware_ethernet_flexpod.html#wp456751

a. Select Boot-Fabric-A in the Boot Policy field.

b. In the Boot Order section, select iSCSI-vNIC-A.

c. Click the Set iSCSI Boot Parameters button.

d. In the Set iSCSI Boot Parameters window, set the Initiator Name Assignment: to IQN_Pool_A.

e. Set the Initiator IP Address Policy: to Static.

f. In the IPv4 Address: field enter the iSCSI address for the server corresponding to the iSCSI-A-VLAN subnet.

g. Leave the radio button next to iSCSI Static Target Interface selected and click the green Plus Sign to the right.

h. Log into Storage Controller A and type the following commands, iscsi nodename.

i. Note or copy the iSCSI target nodename.

j. In the Create iSCSI Static Target window, paste the iSCSI target nodename from the Storage Controller A into the Name: field.

k. Input the IP Address for Storage Controller A's vif0-<iSCSI-A-VLAN ID> into the IPv4 Address: field.

l. Click OK to add the iSCSI Static Target.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you follow this guidelines ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-manager/116003-iscsi-ucs-config-00.html

Is the iSCSI Boot Vlan the native vlan ?

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your response.

Yes I followed guidelines and iscsi boot vlan is configured to native vlan...But not sure why iam getting ISCSI_Target_login_error

Hi

I think the UCS SP is correct; the problem most likely on the iSCSI target side.

IP ping is working ok; native Vlan ok; is the iqn correct ? is initiator correctly configured on the target side ?

Walter.

I have configured IQN pool  name as "iqn.1991-05.com.vmware" with 15 size and IQN Suffixes as "esxi"...After apply  service profile to server got IQN initiator name for 2 ISCSI nics .."iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi:14 for For A side Fabric and "iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi:15 for B side Fabric......Provided same to add in netapp storage side ..and then..Added "iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi" on ISCSI target parameter in Cisco ucs...Please see attached lun info from storage .

Just for clarification:

You have 2 different vlans (and IP subnets) for fabric A resp. B, and this vlans are native.

In your screenshot from Netapp, I don't see exactly 

"iqn.1991-05.com.vmware:esxi:14" or ...15 ?

Did you use a Authentication profile ?

Can you please post screenshot of "Set iSCSI Boot parameters"

No I did not use Authentication profile.Please attached screen shot of boot parameters

I see that the iqn initator and target are almost identical ? why ?
Target iqn is Netapp, and the admin should give you this iqn
Initiator iqn is UCS ? e.g. iqn.2017-05.com.myserver1

I would try this !

do you have any command the netapp admin can check for target IQN..All that he as given is

check eg.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/cisco_ucs_vmware_ethernet_flexpod.html#wp456751

a. Select Boot-Fabric-A in the Boot Policy field.

b. In the Boot Order section, select iSCSI-vNIC-A.

c. Click the Set iSCSI Boot Parameters button.

d. In the Set iSCSI Boot Parameters window, set the Initiator Name Assignment: to IQN_Pool_A.

e. Set the Initiator IP Address Policy: to Static.

f. In the IPv4 Address: field enter the iSCSI address for the server corresponding to the iSCSI-A-VLAN subnet.

g. Leave the radio button next to iSCSI Static Target Interface selected and click the green Plus Sign to the right.

h. Log into Storage Controller A and type the following commands, iscsi nodename.

i. Note or copy the iSCSI target nodename.

j. In the Create iSCSI Static Target window, paste the iSCSI target nodename from the Storage Controller A into the Name: field.

k. Input the IP Address for Storage Controller A's vif0-<iSCSI-A-VLAN ID> into the IPv4 Address: field.

l. Click OK to add the iSCSI Static Target.

Hi walter,

Issue got fixed.The issue was IQN target name was worng.I managed to get correct info from storage team and it worked

Thanks for your help sir

Hi Walter,

Is it recommanded to  keep one ISCSI Nic to failover for Fabric B.Instead for 2 nics which we usually configure of one for ISCSI Fab-A & another for Fab-B..

Please advice and let me know the impact aswel.

Thanks,

victor

Hi Victor

I would not use hardware failover (flag being set), but use 2 separate nic's connecting to fabric A, resp B and let the OS handle the failover

For iSCSI this means MPIO (Multipating I/O).

see eg. https://communities.cisco.com/thread/38370?tstart=0

Walter.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card