Views
Helpful
Replies

Management IP or CIMC IP Pool

andyblada1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

Need you expert comments on one of the doubt i have came across.

This is regarding out-of-band (OOB) IPv4 address assigned directly to the Blade server

or IPv4 address assigned thro service profile from global ext-mgmt pool.

My question is, in one of my environment blade servers are getting CIMC IP directly to the Blade server and thro service profile as well.

Means to say that by both the way B series server are getting IP. But when i am trying to access the KVM console it is going on CIMC IP of service profile.

Is Service Profile IP assignment overriding  blade server CIMC IP assignment.

Is this the correct behavior or correct setting. Whats the best practice.

Is it possible to assign CIMC IP from Service profile only?? only means only :).

Cheers

Andy !! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andy

By default, each blade in a slot gets an IP address from the pool, independent if a service profile is associated or not. This is the CIMC IP address.

Caveat: if you move a SP from one blade to another, the CIMC address will change.

Therefore you have the option to assign an IP address (from the same pool) to a service profile, which has precedence over the one assigned by the slot. Moving the service profile doesn't change the CIMC IP address.

Caveat: you need more IP address's.

Yes

IP address assigned to SP makes sense, if you want eg. a static DNS entry for the CIMC management

Is it possible to assign CIMC IP from Service profile only?? only means only :).

No

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andy

By default, each blade in a slot gets an IP address from the pool, independent if a service profile is associated or not. This is the CIMC IP address.

Caveat: if you move a SP from one blade to another, the CIMC address will change.

Therefore you have the option to assign an IP address (from the same pool) to a service profile, which has precedence over the one assigned by the slot. Moving the service profile doesn't change the CIMC IP address.

Caveat: you need more IP address's.

Yes

IP address assigned to SP makes sense, if you want eg. a static DNS entry for the CIMC management

No

Thank You Walter for this nice clarification !!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card