cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modifying a vNIC Template adding a new VLAN (400)

mg.figueroa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I have a Cisco UCS B200 M2, UCSM 2.2(3e).  I just created a new vlan 400 (BKP_192.168.6.0). When I proceed to modify the vNIC Templates to add the newly created vlan 400, I receive the following warning message:

Modify Vlans

Your change:

Create: Network Vlan_BKP_192.168.6.0 (org-root/lan-conn-templ-DOL-prodA/if-Vlan_BKP_192.168.6.0)

Will require User Acknowledgement before the Reboot of:

Service Profile ESX-03 (org-root/ls-ESX-03) [Server:sys/chassis-1/blade-3]

Service Profile ESX-04 (org-root/ls-ESX-04) [Server:sys/chassis-2/blade-1]

Service Profile ESX-05 (org-root/ls-ESX-05) [Server:sys/chassis-2/blade-2]

Service Profile ESX-01 (org-root/ls-ESX-01) [Server:sys/chassis-1/blade-1]

Are you sure you want to apply the changes?

Pres Yes to disregard the warning and submit changes, No to quit the wizard

or Cancel to make changes to the current configuration

I found in a forum after a google search that when I modify a vNIC Template adding a vlan is a task that do not requires a hosts/blades reboot.

In this case, how do I proceed to successfull add the new vlan in the vNIC Templates? I have a total of 40 production VMware virtual servers distributed in these 4 hosts/blades.

Please refere to the attached document for more info

Thanks

Miguel Figueroa

1 Reply 1

Justin Welch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Usually there is another task such as a firmware update this is waiting to run in the background. If you want to see what is causing this start an SSH session to one of your fabric interconnects. Be sure you are logging the session and run the following commands:

connect local-mgmt

tail-mgmt-log svc_sam_dme

now try to apply the vlan to the template again. You should see a bunch of logging output in the SSH session. If you can put that in your next post we can probably determine what else is pending that is making the server want to reboot.

Thanks

Justin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card