Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7k Policing Question

james21970
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

So i've come across an issue where I am in need of applying egress policing to a customer port. The problem is that the port exists on a 6500, and egress policing isn't allowed at the port level. (well there are options, but not that scale to our envronment). One of the solutions we are considering, is to apply policing rates at the VLAN level on our 7k's. (the 6500's are uplinked to the 7k's, and our customers connect into the 6500 ports).

Reading through the documentation for the VLAN policing for the 7k seems pretty straight forward, except for this one statement:

'A QoS policy attached to a VLAN is applied to all ports in that VLAN that do not have other policies specifically applied.' 

This was taken from this doc: (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/qos/configuration/guide/cpl.html#wp1056677)

As usual, the statement is unclear in the sense that i'm not confident this is only refering to an access port, or if it also applies to  a trunk where that VLAN happens to live.

If the latter of the two, you can see how this could be a bit disasterous as we have 10 Gig uplinks.

Does anyone have any experience with the 7k VLAN policing?, or if there is a Cisco employee here that can clarify the above statement with regard to the exact functionality of applying policing on the VLAN, that would be great.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

What I believe the document is referring to is:

'A QoS policy attached to a VLAN is applied to all ports in that VLAN that do not have other [QoS] policies specifically applied on the interface.' 

The restriction is advising the lowest level (port) QoS configuration will always superceed the higher (VLAN level) QoS.

By applying the policing on the N7K you should be fine to apply the map to the VLAN assuming there are no other port-level QoS being applied to your incoming 6500 interfaces.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

What I believe the document is referring to is:

'A QoS policy attached to a VLAN is applied to all ports in that VLAN that do not have other [QoS] policies specifically applied on the interface.' 

The restriction is advising the lowest level (port) QoS configuration will always superceed the higher (VLAN level) QoS.

By applying the policing on the N7K you should be fine to apply the map to the VLAN assuming there are no other port-level QoS being applied to your incoming 6500 interfaces.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card