Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to ping default gateway of EXSI and NEXUS from EXSI HOST

kakkargaurav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In my topology I am using switch 2960 through which my Fabric Interconnect and NEXUS are connected , I am able to ping ESXI from Switch but when i am pinging the blade and Nexus from  ESXI  HOST it is not pinging and also not able to ping Default gateway through EXSI.

I am using X Vlan for all the devices.

Please suggest...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The first thing is to ensure that the ESX VLAN is defined from the NIC to the router. is the 5K routing in this instance? Also the fabric interconnects and the blade mgmt pool need to be on the same VLAN/subnet. It looks like the FIM is on

.7/25 and the blade CIMC in on .100/25. They need to be on the same subnet. for ESX please make sure that your vNIC has the correct VLAN represented and that its enabled.

Hope this helps,

David Jarzynka

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kakkargaurav
Level 1
Level 1

Any solution for upper query

Can you provide a proper network diagram?

David.Jarzynka
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Robert, we need to see and hear more. What you saying is a little mixed up and is hard to review. Are you using the Nexus 1000V? What VLANS are you using? In ESX the mgmt traffic, vMotion and FT should all be on differnt VLANS. Trunk ports should be presented to the ESX hosts via vNICs. If you are using the 1000v, you should really read the many whitepapers on the 1000v on CIsco B-Series.

Cheers,

Thanks David/ Robert but we havent reached the   Nexus 1000V,

Let me explian you the scenario:--

I have given a management IP to the EXSi with vlan 20 and the default gateway as Nexus 5k with a interface vlan 20 having an ip address as .124/25 . The fabric interconnect with ip address .7/25 is having the default gw as again .124/25 and the blade is having an ip address as .100/25 with same gateway. the vlan 20 is defined in nexus 5k with the uplinks defined under the same vlan.

Now i am trying to ping Nexus 5K from ESXI but not able to ping the same ,

Please suggest if i am missing something in the configuration...

The first thing is to ensure that the ESX VLAN is defined from the NIC to the router. is the 5K routing in this instance? Also the fabric interconnects and the blade mgmt pool need to be on the same VLAN/subnet. It looks like the FIM is on

.7/25 and the blade CIMC in on .100/25. They need to be on the same subnet. for ESX please make sure that your vNIC has the correct VLAN represented and that its enabled.

Hope this helps,

David Jarzynka

Thanks David...........i am doing the same.....Nexus , Fabric Unterconnect and Esxi is in the same subnet.

Now i am giving X vlan on Nexus which is native Vlan and same is on Fabric interconnect(Native Vlan) after that what Vlan  i need to give EXSi.

And Can you share the correct command for creating the Native Vlan on Fabric Interconnect.(on CLI)

And what I am trying is i want to ping Esxi from Nexus which is not happening but I am able to ping management ip of the Blade.

Please reply this is on priority.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card