cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PVSCSI Reset errors

paulg12160
Level 1
Level 1

We have been receiving PVSCSI errors in VM's that correlate to errors in the UCS blade adaptors. Below is an example from the UCS blade adaptor logs. Currently our storage team is working with EMC to determine if RecoverPoint, VMAX or Brocade could be causing these errors.

Example: 160209-04:54:55.535299 ecom.ecom_main ecom(4:0): abort called for exch 4cdc, status 3 rx_id 0 s_stat 0x0 xmit_recvd 0x0 burst_offset 0x0 burst_len 0x0 sgl_err 0x0 last_param 0x0 last_seq_cnt 0x0  tot_bytes_exp 0x200 h_seq_cnt 0x0  exch_type 0x1 s_id 0x3d5c5 d_id 0x3c980 host_tag    0x61

Has anyone received similar errors? What was the root cause.

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

From the UCSM CLI:

#connect adapter x/y/1  where x= chassis, y= blade (making assumption only 1 adapter present)

#connect adapter 1/6/1

#connect

#show-macstats 0

#show-macstats 1....continue on until you get a invalid uif message

Do any of these have fields with counters for dropped or CRC errors?

You may also want to connect to each FI nxos level and run following:

#connect nxos [a/b]

#show int count err

and see if you have any server ports or uplink ports with lots of CRC/FCS errors (please note if they are tx or rx)

Please also check your FC port counters (if you have FC ports)

It is also possible to check HIF/NIF interfaces from the IOM perspectives, but you may want to get a ticket opened with TAC to check all your interfaces from vnic up to pinned FI uplink port.

You will also want to make sure all if in a supported config for firmware and drivers at the UCS interop matrix: http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/ucs/interoperability/matrix/matrix.html

Thanks,

Kirk

For whats its worth, we had a similar sounding issue with PVSCI and our Linux VM's, it never seemed to bite a Windows server.  A reset would take place, and we would loose a disk in the VM.  A reboot of the VM and everything was OK, for a while.

We had a TAC ticket, and did many of the same stat gathering as suggested, including swapping from twin-axe cables.  Eventually TAC passed the buck to IBM, our storage vendor.  Nothing came of that either.

I found I could force a reset in the VM's disk with the sg_reset command, watch it ripple though the VM, through ESX and down to the Cisco HBA causing it to reset too.

What we did find is changing out the PVSCSI cards for LSI Logic Parallel made the issue go away.  That ripple effect no longer hit the physical HBA.  We left it at that as our VM's where now stable.

IBM XIV storage, 2.2.3c firmware with ESX 5.5 U2.  I haven't retested with our current steady state of 2.2.6e firmware and ESX 6.

If you find anything out, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you Chris for sharing.

Question: Did you have a VMware support case open and if so what case number? I would like to run your findings by our VMware support engineer to get their thoughts.

Thanks again

Paul

We started with VMware support (ticket 15792380911).  VMware will cry "Not it!  Sorry." as as soon as they anything fnic and enic related.  Off I went to Cisco (Ticket 636945411), who it must be said really went out of his way to help.  Finally Cisco to IBM (No info).

I never did circle back with VMware with the work around I found.

Thank you Chris for the feedback. I have passed along this info to our VMware support engineer. I'll update the discussion once I receive an update.

sourabhjtak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

were you able to fix this, any link or details if you can share.

No fix yet. We tried the recommendations by Kirk J. but didn't see anything in the logs that would cause such errors. We are still working with EMC, VMware and Cisco to find the root cause.

all rite paul, can you check some logs on Esxi level with respect to I/O, and try to increment the I/O throttle count on UCS if that help, not sure but just point ccan be checked, i came across this situation once with UCS and EMC XIO box. 

We are still working with EMC, VMware and Cisco uploading/reviewing logs. The issue is infrequent and is seen in two environments. ESXi 6.0 with VMAX storage only w/RecoverPoint on MDS and ESXi 5.5 with VMAX storage only w/RecoverPoint on DCX Brocade. We have noticed the errors become less frequent since we rebalanced our VMAX FA ports utilization.

Thanks

Paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card