cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

recommendations for XenServer network configuration on B200M2

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

We are just starting a XenApp / XenDesktop / VDI project at our company.  I'm very familiar with VMware as that is the hypervisor we primarily use on UCS.  I'll be using XenServer for this project though as the licensing comes with the Citrix licensing.  Does anybody have a recommended configuration for the nics in a XenServer running on UCS B200M2's.  The adapters in the B200M2's are the M81KR's so I was going to setup them up similar to how I setup and ESXi server.

That would be the following:

Management network (this would use the same native vlan that I use for the management network of my ESXi hosts)

1 nic on fabric A that doesn't failover for the management network (bonded with nic listed below)

1 nic on fabric B that doesn't failover for the management network (bonded with nic listed above)

XenMotion (this would use the same native vlan that I use for VMotion in VMware)

1 nic on fabric B that can failover to fabric A

Guest / VM Network (this I would use vlan tagging to add the appropriate networks for my desktops)

1 nic on fabric A that doesn't failover for guest / vm network connectivity (bonded with nic listed below)

1 nic on fabric B that doesn't failover for guest / vm network connectivity (bonded with nic listed above)

Could somebody offere some suggestions / recommendations on how they have setup there XenServers in UCS for VDI / XenDesktop?

3 Replies 3

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Russ, I have deployed XenServer on UCS a lot and here is our standard config that has worked for my customers.

2 vNICs for management, 1 on Fabric A and 1 on Fabric B

2 vNICs for VM traffic, 1 on Fabric A and 1 on Fabric B

If using IP storage then 2 additional vNIC for that, 1 on Fabric A and 1 on Fabric B

2 vHBAs for FC SAN, 1 on Fabric A and 1 on Fabric B

Make sure you have a BIOS policy that disables all of the Intel C-States

Now when you say all of the Intel C-States is that just the Processor C State option or is there additional C-State settings?  (i.e. Processor C1E, Processor C3 Report, Processor C6 Report, etc.)

Thank you for your reply.

All options that mention C state

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card