Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing FI with new FI for a Clustered setup

Hi,

We lost one of our FI part of the cluster environment and new FI is being shipped. What is the procedure I should be following to add the new FI to the environment?

My understanding:

1. Power ON the new FI, IP it and verify the version.

2. Perform upgrade/Downgrade on the FI to match the running FI version.

3. Once the upgrade/downgrade is complete, perform erase configuration on the FI.

4. Connect L1, L2 and Management ports on new FI and existing cluster will detect the new FI as subordinate.

5. Log on to UCS manager and configure server ports, Network ports, port channel and FC ports to match the running FI.

6. Verify the cluster status.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

2 points:

- since 2.1.3 there is a automatic synch feature of the firmware, see

http://jeffsaidso.com/2014/05/cool-new-ucs-featurefirmware-sync/

- 5 is not necessary; the configuration will automatically synched, once the cluster is formed.

Walter.

Thank you for prompt response. So you're saying, I just have to plug in the new FI to the running FI and all configuration will be synced to the newly added FI?

Thanks again! 

Yes ! Be sure that the RMA box has been erased the configuration.

Then connect heartbeat links and power the box; dialog will ask if you want to joint the cluster -> yes

enter admin pw, and the IP address of the box.

And then wait ... wait, the synch will happen automatically.

Thank you so much. After plugging in the new FI it is rebooting in a loop and TAC engineer says it is part of normal operational process and it is part of the sync process. What's your thoughts on it?

.After power up, did the new FI enter the dialogue, and showing the message, that is has discovered a existing cluster ??

or

If there is a discrepancy in releases of the 2 FI, a cluster join is not possible; therefore a synch of the versions will be done.

after the versions are in synch

cluster join will work; enter the admin pw and IP address of the new box, configuration synch should start ?

The only reason for reboots, would be, that it has first to synch the versions.

One has to be very patient ? Overall, this could take 10-15 minutes +

What is the status of your systems ?

The subordinate FI rebooted after joining the cluster for about 14 times and became stable finally. Sorry couldn't respond to your questions on time.

We did perform some failover testing and everything looks good now. Thank you!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card