Views
Helpful
Replies

S.M.A.R.T disk information using SNMP

oizetbegovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering is there a chance to gather S.M.A.R.T disk information from UCS servers with SNMP?

What are available methods of gathering S.M.A.R.T data from UCS servers? There is UCS Manager but I'd like to use some third party monitoring tool to use the data.

Regards

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

If your disks are part of a raid volume, then smart info will not be available to the OS, as the drives are not individually seen.

You would need to poll the CIMC of the individual Rack server (or UCSM VIP address) using the correct OID range for local storage to get health state, model, serial #, etc.

Are you using hba or raid type of controller?

For hba/jbod drives, I've seen some customers run a perl script that gathered smartctl info, and pass the results up to something like nagios, etc.

Here's a link to UCS monitoring guide: https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-computing-system/cisco-ucs-monitoring-resource-handbook/ta-p/3646478

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi,

I'm aware of CIMC and local storage data, I've got that covered. I'm aiming at S.M.A.R.T. data precisely.

UCS models are C220 and C240. I need to check controllers.

Regards

So, are you asking about drives behind a raid volume or jbod disks?

Since you can't use smartctl to directly talk to disks in raid volume, you are limited to the raid controller's utilities (i.e. storcli from LSI) or canned set of counters provide by BMC or OS level storage CIM/SNMP stack.

It is unfortunate that the raid controller provided  counters tend to be a very small subset of what smartctl could provide from drives individually.

Kirk...

Disks are in RAID.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card