cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

S3260 SIOC 40G to 10G VNIC configuration

matthias8422
Level 1
Level 1

I have a s3260 storage server with UCSC-C3260-SIOC and am connecting it to my router via a QSFP-4SFP10G-CU3M (40g to 4 10G breakout DAC). As it sits now, the os sees vnic 1 (default eth0) as a 40G interface but has no connectivity through the other vnics.  They show up in the os as adapters with no link. How do i configure the vnics so that the 40G port is seen by the os as 4 10G adapters?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Checkout this procedure :

Click on the "Fabric" tab.
In the "Fabric Interconnects" section, select the fabric interconnect that the 40G port is connected to.
Click on the "Ports" tab.
In the "Port List" table, locate the 40G port.
Click on the "Actions" menu and select "Configure VNICs".
In the "Configure VNICs" dialog box, enter the following information:
       VNIC Name: A unique name for the VNIC.
       VLAN ID: The VLAN ID that the VNIC will be associated with.
       Port Mode: Select the "4x10G" option.
Click on the "OK" button.

The VNIC will now be configured as a 40G port that is split into 4 10G adapters. The OS will see the 4 10G adapters as separate interfaces.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

The 40G port must be in the "Up" state before you can configure the VNICs.
The VLAN ID that you specify must be a valid VLAN ID on the fabric interconnect.
You can configure up to 8 VNICs on a single 40G port.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this a continuation of your prior question on the forums:
https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-computing-system-discussions/s3260-m4-dac-no-link/td-p/4841703

The VIC on the SIOC needs to be configured for 4x10Gbps instead of the default 1x40Gbps.

See the UCS C-Series docs:
Configuring Network Adapter Properties 

Specifically section:
Step 5
Click the External Ethernet Interfaces link to review the following information:
Admin Speed column
The data transfer rate for the port. This can be one of the following:

• 40 Gbps
  • 4 x 10 Gbps
  • Auto

Once you get link on the VIC external interface, then the internal / OS facing vNICs can be configured / added / etc.

Typically once 4x10Gbps is configured, the internal / OS facing vNIC configuration changes from one 40Gbps eth0 to four 10Gbps eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3. Is that step not happening? It has been a while since configuration this personally, so I don't remember if that step is automagic or if manual configuration is required.

Each vNIC needs to be attached to a specific uplink port (one of the 4x10Gbps break out ports).

UCS C-Series docs:

Guidelines for Managing vNICs

Uplink Port drop-down list
The uplink port associated with this vNIC. All traffic for this vNIC goes through this uplink port.

It is kindove along the same lines as my other question but that had more to do with the server having no connection at all. Turns out using an OEM cable fixed that(though finding one was a pain). I do have the speed manually set to 4x10Gbps. Even with that manually set though the os is seeing only a single vnic with connectivity. Furthermore, the uplink port option for the vnic only gives me 0 and 1 as options. Which references qsfp+ port 0 and qsfp+ port 1. Is there something i have to do so get those ports broken out into the individual 10Gbps channels

Screenshot 2023-09-06 084809.png

Screenshot 2023-09-06 084850.png

?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card