Views
Helpful
Replies

Scub policy

Grace Zhu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi! Experts:

I have some concern regarding scrub policy.  Here is the best practice from Cisco white paper:

"

Scrub Policy

Scrub policy determines what happens to local disks and BIOS upon Service Profile disassociation. The default policy is no scrubbing. A best practice is to set the policy to scrub the local disk, especially for service providers, multi-tenant customers, and environments in which network installation to a local disk is used.
"

Is the local disk mean the HDD in the blade server?

What will happened to the customer  data on the disks if scrub enabled?

Thanks!

Grace

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the local disk mean the HDD in the blade Server?

Yes !

It's gone ! usually this is just a OS plus configuration, not user data.

View solution in original post

Hello Grace,

The OS can be installed on the physical installed hard drives, generally configured as a RAID.

If you enable the scrub policy what it will do is to format all existing information on them, (most of the times the OS).

The purpose of this is for example that the server is running linux and you want install a new OS, just disassociate the service profile, assign a new one and then just do a new install from scratch. No need to format.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the local disk mean the HDD in the blade Server?

Yes !

It's gone ! usually this is just a OS plus configuration, not user data.

So, why is it good to enable the scrub policy?  If the OS is clean out when dissociated the server profile.

Hello Grace,

The OS can be installed on the physical installed hard drives, generally configured as a RAID.

If you enable the scrub policy what it will do is to format all existing information on them, (most of the times the OS).

The purpose of this is for example that the server is running linux and you want install a new OS, just disassociate the service profile, assign a new one and then just do a new install from scratch. No need to format.

Hi! Alvaro:

Thanks for the explanation.  If I do not need to change the OS and want to keep the data on the HDD, I will disable the scrub.   I need to disassociate the server profile When I replace some hardware on the blade.  I just want to make sure I will not loss any data on my HDD.

Thanks a gain!

Grace

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card