cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Discovery Failed

plp_pnlr
Level 1
Level 1

I have been connecting C240 servers in FI cluster, apparently one server wasn't to be discovered. It stucked at 58% FSM details are below:

FSM Status:Fail
Description: 
Current FSM Name:Discover
Progress Status: 58%
Remote Invocation Result:End Point Failed
Remote Invocation Error Code:1003
Remote Invocation Description:mc_attrib_set_suboem_id failed to set the SubOEM ID

Thank you for your help.
6 Replies 6

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Are the C240 servers all running the same firmware?  I think I've seen a case or two with similar setup, 6332 FIs, and the raid controller had old firmware.  You might want to try putting the problem server back in standalone mode, run the HUU ISO,,, do a cimc reset to defaults at the F8 setup,,, and see if it gets past the 58% stall mark.

Kirk...

I'm checking the installed firmwares on the servers and they have the same CIMC and Bios version. And I found out that there no storage controllers indicated on the failed server. Is it maybe bacause it didnt completed the discovering phase? or it didn't detect the storage controller at all?

josoneal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try the following:

1. Decommission server, browse to Equipment -> Decommissioned -> Right click the server and click remove
2. Disconnect 10G cables between the VICs and FI/FEX.
3. Reboot Server, Press F8 to load the CIMC Utility Configuration screen and perform CIMC Reset to Factory Defaults.
4. Connect 1G cable to MGMT port on server and configure for standalone access.
5. Obtain rack server tech support bundle for server.
6. Upgrade C-Series Servers-> Boot the server with the standalone KVM and run the HUU package to match UCS Manager firmware bundle CIMC version against the server to re-image all server firmware.  Guide on how to use the HUU:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/lomug/2-0-x/b_huu_2_0_3/b_huu_2_0_3_chapter_011.html
7. Reboot Server and perform CIMC Reset to Factory Defaults.
8. Pull Power cables for 30 seconds.
9. Reconnect 10G cables between the VICs and FI/FEX.
10. Reconnect power cables and power on.
11. Verify if the server shows up in UCS Manager, this will take a few minutes.  Re-acknowledge the server once it appears if the rack server discovery policy is set to user acknowledge.

josoneal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try the following:

1. Decommission server, browse to Equipment -> Decommissioned -> Right click the server and click remove
2. Disconnect 10G cables between the VICs and FI/FEX.
3. Reboot Server, Press F8 to load the CIMC Utility Configuration screen and perform CIMC Reset to Factory Defaults.
4. Connect 1G cable to MGMT port on server and configure for standalone access.
5. Obtain rack server tech support bundle for server.
6. Upgrade C-Series Servers-> Boot the server with the standalone KVM and run the HUU package to match UCS Manager firmware bundle CIMC version against the server to re-image all server firmware.
7. Reboot Server and perform CIMC Reset to Factory Defaults.
8. Pull Power cables for 30 seconds.
9. Reconnect 10G cables between the VICs and FI/FEX.
10. Reconnect power cables and power on.
11. Verify if the server shows up in UCS Manager, this will take a few minutes.  Re-acknowledge the server once it appears if the rack server discovery policy is set to user acknowledge.

Hi!

I tried your suggestions but still the discovery fails and fsm stucked at 58%.

Remote Invocation Result:End Point Failed
Remote Invocation Error Code:1003
Remote Invocation Description:mc_attrib_set_suboem_id failed to set the SubOEM ID

I did miss your previous message where you stated that your server is not seeing the storage controller. This can be a cause for server not moving past 58% discovery. Try swapping out the storage controller, you may need to upgrade the controller with HUU before reintegrating the server.

- Josh
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card