Views
Helpful
Replies

The Following VDs are affected:00,01,02

Morcos Magdy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have UCS C 210 M2 and have ESXi host 4.0.1 installed on it, when I rebooted the UCS it gave me this issue "The Following VDs are affected:00,01,02"  if any one can support me please, also there is 2 attachments show the issue

thanksIssue 1.jpgIssue 2.jpg

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Your BBU probably needs to be replaced.

That message is telling you that your raid volumes (VDs) are no longer using write-back caching as write-back caching relies on the BBU/battery to avoid data loss if the server were to lose power while in the middle of writing data.

However, may be hard to find a BBU that will work with an older server like that.

Back when those were still under contact the part IDs might have been one of the following:

R2XX-LBBU2=

CDE3-HBA-G2MR-BBU=

https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12352331

Kirk...

Greetings

Thanks Kirk for your prompt reply, i have 2 UCS C 210 M2 one of them had this issue and unfortunately the affected one is the one which installed on it the Publisher CUCM , so i have 2 choices if i didn't find BBU for the affected UCS:

1- Can i replace the battery from the working UCS to the affected UCS without losing data ?

Or

2- Can i replace HDs from the affected UCS and put it in the working UCS without losing data ?

Thanks

Morcos

You can definitely swap BBUs from a working server, provided the raid controllers and BBU are the same model.

You can also swap drives (which involves migrating raid volume/foreign config), but poses more risk, and has other complications.

The BBU swap would be fairly easy, but will require you to power down the node being opened up.

Kirk...

I'm going to swap BBUs from a working server, but what do you mean by provided the raid controllers ?

also can you please send me a documentation how to do it, that's would be great, thanks Kirk

Regrads,

Morcos

I don't think the service/install guides are available any more as those have been end of support for a number of years.

[Edit, attaching an old PDF copy I had].  Go to page 79

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card