Views
Helpful
Replies

The New Chassis and blades Serie X UMM

jaguileraortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

I would like to knwo if the new chassis and blades serie X can be manage using fabrics 6400 with UCSM Managed Mode (UMM)?

This new X series chassis blades will replace the actual B-series chassis/blades?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @jaguileraortiz ,

I would like to knwo if the new chassis and blades serie X can be manage using fabrics 6400 with UCSM Managed Mode (UMM)?

NO.  Unfortunately  

This new X series chassis blades will replace the actual B-series chassis/blades?

YES - eventually.

The long term plan is to eventually allow the 51xx chassis devices to gracefully age into End Of Life

All NEW development will be for the UCS-X 95xx chassis

This is going to mean that during the transition, there will be both 51xx and 95xx chassis connected to the same pair of FIs.

But since the UCS-X servers MUST be managed via Intersight, there is a dilemma about how to manage the WHOLE chassis

1. Currently the only option is to migrate the legacy UCS-B servers to Intersight management mode (UGLY and time consuming)
  2. OR Cisco could develop an intermediate UCSM style management system for the UCS-X - but that is quite a task for Cisco because the two platforms (UCSM and Intersight) are very different, have different API calls and, well, it's just hard.
    BUT if enough customers, and if enough of those are POWERFUL customers, I suspect Cisco MIGHT develop this option down the track.
    But don't hold your breath waiting for it

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-x-series-modular-system/ucs-x-fabric-here-aag.html

"Cisco UCS X-Series is powered by the Cisco Intersight cloud operations platform. This software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering helps you define and shape compute, GPU, and fabric resources to the needs of your applications."

Your 6400s would have to be reset, and setup in IMM mode to manage X series chassis/gear.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card