cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220-M5 w/12G Modular SAS - Linux install not finding virtual drive

phbedard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm trying to install Linux on a new C220 M5 with the Cisco/Avago 12G HW Raid controller.   I'm trying with just a single drive in Raid-0 config with a virtual drive configured and set as the boot drive.  When I boot into the install Linux identifies it as a LSI Megaraid controller but does not see any drives attached to it.   I've tried both Centos 7 and Ubuntu 18 with no luck, and ultimately would like to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the server.   The other strange thing is I thought the first time I booted the server I was able to access the config via the normal BIOS but since then the option no longer shows up in the BIOS to configure the controller and I have to go through the controller BIOS.  

config.png

3 Replies 3

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @phbedard,

Have to checked the interoperability matrix? I don't see Centos 7.0, Ubuntu 18.0, 16.04 in supported list for this server. Its expected if drivers are not supported you won't see the disk. I'm sure if you use the correct IOS, you should be able to see the disk as drivers are inbox. 

Compatibility matrix link: https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/

Please rate if you find it helpful.

Regards,

MJ

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you doing legacy or UEFI booting? You may need to switch these and/or ensure you have the correct driver loaded during boot to see the disks successfully. 

This just came down to the UCSC-RAID-M5 card not being supported right now by anything but Ubuntu 18.  Ubuntu 18 worked in both Legacy and UEFI mode so the server is booting right now in UEFI mode.  It's kind of strange since the card is just a Broadcom 3516 based card which has been supported by the megaraid_sas driver.  Just one of those things where the vendor card is not identified as such.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card