cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220 M5 wont power on

mmcclellan
Level 1
Level 1

This is a newly set up C220 with a new CPU, memory and drives. The server was running great for about a week. Then we started to do some setup things with ESXi and that's when the server shut off unexpectedly. After that the only thing the server does is blink the power led orange, and the identification led blue when plugged in. See videos attached.

I have tried reseating all of the drives, memory, fans and power supplies. I took a power supply from another C220 that has been running fine without issue and the same thing happens, orange power led blinks and blue ID led blinks. Any ideas? 

7 Replies 7

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DId you setup access to the CIMC?

That would provide access to the SEL logs, and potential alerts/pointers as to the issue.

Kirk...

Hey Kirk, we did get the IP settings for that set up, and then right after that we started configuring ESXi and that's when it crashed and went into that blinking LED state. 

In the CIMC, look under logs area, and check the SEL log.

See if it lists anything specific about hardware such as processors, etc.

Kirk...

The server doesn't even power on at all though. No matter what buttons I press it doesn't power up to even try to get to the logs... that's where I'm stumped. 

hashoo3021
Level 1
Level 1

@mmcclellan 

Did you find a solution to this problem?
I'm facing the same problem currently

Unfortunately no, we tried new power supplies, one CPU only less memory. Nothing seemed to work. We chalked it up to a short somewhere on the board. Very sad as this was a nice server.  

Thanks for updating me I have the same issue on a new server it was never working before

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card