Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 M3 and Windows server 2012

chrischelvy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need  a help to install the windows server 2012 on Cisco UCS 240 M3 server. I am new for UCS technology.

I configured the CIMC and can access the CIMC via GUI.

As it doesnt have a CD/DVD rom, i used the KVM to map the bootable 2012 image which is on my laptop. During the installation, it prompt to install the Drivers. So i got stucked.

I have found the UCS drivers for windows from Cisco website (bootable image) and then i have mapped this bootable image. but it cant boot from this bootable image.

is there any other best practise to install the 2012 server on this server?. do i  need to intall the Esxi?.

Thanks

Regards,

Chris

3 Replies 3

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

The driver bundle image is not a bootable image. To load the drivers you have to add the driver image, but you need to make sure that you boot from the OS image first. Once get page where windows is looking for the bootable drives that is when you map the driver’s iso so you can access it. Note that at the moment you have to unmapped the iso images and map the driver image to load the drivers, once you load the drivers, you need to unmapped the driver’s iso, map the OS iso and do a refresh. (See website below the process is very similar)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9573-sata-driver-load-windows-8-setup.html

Also make sure you know the raid controller that your server is using.

Tausif Gaddi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Chris,

Please review mentioned information, hope it will help.

Performing Custom Installation for Windows

For unattended Windows Server operating system installation, follow these steps:

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1    To enter the unattended operating system installation function area, click OS Install in the left navigation pane.

The OS Install page appears .

Step 2    Click the Windows radio button and choose an operating system from the Operating System drop-down list.

The Edition drop-down list appears.

Step 3    From the Edition drop-down list, choose an edition.

The Default Settings area and the Quick Install and Custom Install buttons appear.

Note: The Windows Server 2008 R2 option in the drop-down list is the same for both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Depending on the installation CD used ( Win2k8 R2 or Win2k8R2 SP1), the corresponding Windows OS version gets installed.

Step 4    Click Custom Install.

A progress bar displays indicating the tasks being performed and the percentage of completion. A new OS Install page appears with the following list of collapsible windows

Personalization—To set the personalization settings, go to Personalization

Installation Partitions—To set the installation partition settings, go to Installation Partitions

Network Settings—To set the network settings, go to Network Settings

Installation Drivers—To set the driver settings, go to Installation Drivers

Step 5    Click Install.

A progress bar is displayed that indicates the tasks being performed and the percentage of completion. An OS Install dialog box appears which prompts you to remove the UCS-SCU CD and insert the required operating system CD.

Step 6    Insert the operating system CD and click Ok.

The system restarts and installation of the operating system begins.

Installation Drivers

UCS-SCU displays all available drivers downloaded from the driver source. Deselect the drivers that you do not want to install. If you want to install an operating system on a RAID volume, select the driver for the appropriate RAID controller.

To configure the installation driver settings, follow these steps:

Procedure

Step 1  

Click Installation   Drivers to open the corresponding window

Step 2  

Select the drivers that you   want to install from the Choose Drivers to Install table.

If drivers are not available in the Choose Drivers to Install   table, download the drivers using the Installation Drivers toolbar. To   download the drivers, choose one of the following options

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Chris,

As explained by my other colleagues, this is just a matter of:

1-Begin the installation with OS .iso image mapped in VM tab in KVM.

2-Once it asks you for the drivers, you un-mount the OS .iso image in VM tab in KVM

3-Mount the drivers and installed them  <<<<< Let us know if you have troubles identifying the correct drivers

4-Un-mount the drivers in VM tab in KVM

5-Munt the OS .iso image again and finish the installation

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card