Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 M4 & 9300-8e HBA SAS

Hello

sorry for my limited Data Center knowledge ...

Need to connect C240 M4 to standalone storage using SAS connectivity.

According to spec sheet must use "Cisco 9300-8e 12G SAS HBA (provides 8 SAS ports for external JBOD connectivity)."

My doubt is about the "for external JBOD connectivity" addition in the part description:

- Does the 9300-8e support connecting the C240 M4 to an external standalone storage system?

* Can I connect to the external storage system using multiple ports of the 9300-8e?

- Does the 9300-8e support also data rates lower than 12 Gbps? Which rates?

Thanks

Fred

2 Replies 2

surfr111999
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Fred

Did you find any answers or how did you solve your issue? Please let me know.

Thank you :)

Cheers, Rudi

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

(Q) Does the 9300-8e support connecting the C240 M4 to an external standalone storage system?

(A) Yes, it only has external connectors. If you are trying to connect to something other than a simple storage shelf, you definitely need to check with the storage vendor for actual HCL.

(Q) Can I connect to the external storage system using multiple ports of the 9300-8e?

(A)Yes.  There are actually two SFF-8644 connectors.  Depending on the connectors on the external storage shelf, you may have cables that have one SFF-8644 connector, and the other end that breaks out into others (SFF-8088, SFF-8482, etc)

(Q) Does the 9300-8e support also data rates lower than 12 Gbps? Which rates?

(A)Supports SATA link rates of 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s
          Supports SAS link rates of 3Gb/s, 6Gb/s, and 12Gb/s

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M4/install/C240M4/raid.html#58081

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card