Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C240 M5S Issue

JoshA1977
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have a Cisco UCS C240 M5S in which I am attempting to load a copy of Windows Server on. I can boot from the USB drive in Legacy Mode with no problems, yet I cannot find a proper controller driver so that I can see the installed drives/volumes. I have downloaded and searched the following Cisco UCS driver ISOs and I cannot find a compatible controller driver:

ucs-cxxx-drivers-windows.4.3.2g.iso

ucs-cxxx-drivers-windows.3.1.3.iso

Can someone kindly assist me?

2 Replies 2

Hi @JoshA1977 . I am not very familiar with Windows on UCS, or standalone rackmount servers, but maybe I can steer you in the right direction, or trigger someone else to respond, with a bit more information. 

1. Is there a logical volume / RAID volume on the disk? If not, you would have to create one (see How to Configure RAID on Cisco UCS C Series Rack Server. One sure-fire way to check if there is a logical volume (or disks configured as standalone - e.g. RAID/storage controller in pass-through mode), is to boot off an relatively recent ESXi or Linux (since their inbox drivers usually support most Cisco RAID controllers and vHBAs/vNICs created on Virtual Interface Cards) install ISO and check if they see any storage. 

These should not matter if your storage is configured properly, but just in case.

1. Which CIMC version are you running?
  2. Which version of Windows are you trying to install? 
  3. Which storage controller? The UCS FI connected HyperFlex nodes that we are running, are based on C240 M5 and ship with the Cisco 12G Modular SAS controller. 
  4. Which CPU (the Xeon supports Windows 2012 R2 - 2022; 2nd Gen Xeon supports Windows 2016 - 2022)

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First place to start, is identifying exactly what kind of local storage solution you are trying to install Windows onto...

Is it virtual drive (VD) comprised of drives connected to raid controller UCSC-RAID-M5HD?

Are you trying to use embedded 'software' raid controller?

What devices show up in the CIMC under the PCI devices list?

Once we know what is the target, the driver can be determined.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card