cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C260M2: How to boot from local hdd (RAID) ?

alois.heilmaier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i just integrated a C260 to UCS Manager. (converted from standalone to UCSM)
Then i tried to push a serviceprofile on it
-> got config error "Local disk config destructive to current storage There are not enough resources overall"

Thats okay because after that I was told that there was an image installed on the C260M2 in standalone mode.

So now I tried to boot the server from the installed image, but I can not boot from the local disks.
It always boots the UCS-SCU (Server Configuration Utility)

I tried watched for any solutions so I disabled all the boot options in the BIOS, now I get the error "no boot device found"

Unfortunately I can not find any boot option to boot from local disks.

I can see following RAID Configuration in "inventory > rack mounts > servers > server 1 > Inventory > Storage

The 16 Disks (10 SAS and 6 SSD) are controlled via 2 RAID Controllers, each one controlls 8 Disks (5 SAS and 3 SSD) in RAID 0 striped.

- Is there a way to boot from the local HDD with the standalone mode installed image ?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3810051#3810051 does not work, because of no internal RAID Controllers, both are PCIe Raid Controllers.

- Have I lost my preinstalled image, as I converted from standalone to UCSM integraded ?

Best regards

Alois

3 Replies 3

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Alois,

First of all, rack server can have only one RAID controller when it is managed by UCSM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_011110.html#d180135e3777a1635

------------ snip --------------

Maximum of One RAID Volume and One RAID Controller in Integrated Rack-Mount Servers

A rack-mount server that has been integrated with Cisco UCS Manager can have a maximum of one RAID volume irrespective of how many hard drives are present on the server.

All the local hard drives in an integrated rack-mount server must be connected to only one RAID Controller. Integration with Cisco UCS Manager does not support the connection of local hard drives to multiple RAID Controllers in a single rack-mount server. We therefore recommend that you request a single RAID Controller configuration when you order rack-mount servers to be integrated with Cisco UCS Manager.

In addition, do not use third party tools to create multiple RAID LUNs on rack-mount servers. Cisco UCS Manager does not support that configuration.

---------------------------

I hope service profile association has failed without making any changes to RAID configuration and it is currently operating as standalone rack server.

If yes, check if you have Flexflash card installed and SCU partition is enabled. If yes, you can disable it.

Are the two RAID controllers listed in boot order menu ?

Is RAID array ( virtual drive ) is in boot list ?

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thank's for fast response. Really helpful link on your post.

As I tried to get the server running, I tried many BIOS options but nothing worked.

(e.g. Disabled alle boot options SCU, HV, HUU, EFI, ... and booted the server many times)

So my last action was to select the BIOS option "Load Default Values" after that I saved the config and bootet the server. I don't know why, but the the RAID Controllers are listed now and also the preinstalled image has been bootet.

BIOS Boot Option list before (only HDD available):

- SCU, HV, Drivers, HUU, EFI (I think these are all options located on the Flexflash), and no RAID was listed

BIOS Boot Option list now:

- (Bus 01 Dev 00) PCI Raid Controller, Internal EFI shell, BRCM MBA 8400 v7.4.13

-> It seems the OS is installed on the first RAID-Controller Volumes

But you mentioned the supported RAID options. Especially on the C260M2 I have more than one unsupported RAID configuration. 1. 2 RAID Controllers 2. If I am right, there is/could be an unsupported mix of HDD and SSD in one RAID set.

Can I integrate the C260 into my UCSM without setting the disk-policy (=no Disk Policy) ?

Because the system was ordered and preinstalled by the application team in exact that configuration. After that there was a management/operational decision to integrate the C-Series into UCSM because of single management view/integration.

Thank's and best regards

Alois

Hello Alois,

C260 M2 server supports two RAID controller and above listed RAID configuration.

However, with this configuration, it is not supported for UCSM integration.

Padma

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card