Helpful
Replies

ucs kvm - connection failed

reni.popara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I run into problem with kvm.

When i try to run kvm console i get "connection failed" , but i manage to connect once from 10 times.

I have "Managament IP Pool" and i can see assigned ip addres to my blade server.

Is someone have the same issue ?

Thanks!

16 Replies 16

Hello ,

Hope the below data with link will help.

1. If you are unable to ping the KVM IP address, which was assigned from the management (MGMT) IP

pool, you must verify that the IP pool addresses are within the same subnet as the management IP

address assigned to the fabric interconnect. If the pool does not match, all KVMs that receive IP

addresses from this pool are impacted.

2.Verify TCP port 2068 is not blocked by the access control list (ACL) or firewall between client and

blade CIMC. With this port closed, it results in failure to connect to any UCS KVM.

3. Verify browser configuration to ensure HTTP proxy does not break communication.

4. If you are unable to ping the KVM IP address, check which fabric interconnect manages the instance

for the blade and verify if it responds. If a fabric interconnect suffers from a failed/down mgmt0

interface, all blades that are managed by it experience KVM accessibility issues.

To verify the management instance of the blade, choose the blade from Equipment > General > .

5.If you are able to ping the KVM IP address, but still not able to connect to the KVM, you may have a

duplicate IP address in the network. One way to verify this is to statically assign a new IP address that

you know is not in use to the blade. If the host can be taken down, decommission the blade in

question and then try to ping the KVM IP address again. If it is still successful, that IP is duplicated in

the network. Remove the IP from the other device, or adjust the UCS MGMT IP Pool to not include

that address. 5.If you are able to ping the KVM IP address, but still not able to connect to the KVM, you may have a
duplicate IP address in the network. One way to verify this is to statically assign a new IP address that
you know is not in use to the blade. If the host can be taken down, decommission the blade in
question and then try to ping the KVM IP address again. If it is still successful, that IP is duplicated in
the network. Remove the IP from the other device, or adjust the UCS MGMT IP Pool to not include
that address.

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/115958/ucsm-kvm-troubleshooting-00.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/cli/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_CLI_Configuration_Guide_2_0.pdf

Regards

keshav

SriramVS62525
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to resolve my issue by following the below steps. If you do not want to undergo the hardship of re-seating a blade, You may give it a shot ;-). 

KVM Console is not Working

• Make a note of the service profile template the service profile is attached to.
  • Unbind the service profile template from service profile. Now you will notice the Change Management IP address option will get highlighted.
  • Click Change the Management IP address and choose static instead of esx-mgmt. Enter an unused ip address from the esx-mgmt pool. [Better to choose an ip address on the far range.] Eg:
    10.x.x.233
    255.x.x.x
    10.x.x.1.
    Click OK & close the Window.
  • Now when you launch KVM console, you will notice 2 options namely
    open KVM console with the given static IP or
    with derived IP address from the pool.
    you will be able to open KVM console with either of them.
  • Click Change the Management IP address once again & this time choose esx-mgmt instead of static and Click OK. Close the Window.
  • Check if KVM console is working again.
  • Bind the service profile back to the same service profile template & close.

Thanks ! ! 

Sriram V S

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card