Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS VMware 6.5 Drivers

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have some B200M4 servers running on UCS version 3.2(2b) with Cisco VIC 1340s. I have just installed the Cisco custom image for ESXi 6.5 U2

On checking the installed drivers vs the "supported" drivers on the UCS Hardware and Software Compatibility portal I noticed that nenic & fnic drivers that were installed with the Cisco custom image are a few revisions higher than what is in the portal.

Can I assume that the portal is outdated.....or do I need to downgrade my VMware drivers?

NENIC installed - 1.0.25.0-1OEM.650.0.0.4598673

NENIC portal  - 1.0.16.0

FNIC installed - 1.6.0.44

FNIC portal -1.6.0.37

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rchaseling,

Custom ISO contains min driver versions for all component so that OS can't be installed on servers. We should always follow what is there in portal (Compatibility matrix- https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ ). Moreover I don't see 3.2(2'x') blade bundle for ESXi 6.5 U2 with B200 M4 v3 or v4 CPUs. You need 3.2(3'x'). 

image.png

image.png

Note: Whenever you are checking compatibility matrix, you should always look at blade/rack-server bundle rather UCSM/cimc/biso firmware. 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rchaseling,

Custom ISO contains min driver versions for all component so that OS can't be installed on servers. We should always follow what is there in portal (Compatibility matrix- https://ucshcltool.cloudapps.cisco.com/public/ ). Moreover I don't see 3.2(2'x') blade bundle for ESXi 6.5 U2 with B200 M4 v3 or v4 CPUs. You need 3.2(3'x'). 

image.png

image.png

Note: Whenever you are checking compatibility matrix, you should always look at blade/rack-server bundle rather UCSM/cimc/biso firmware. 

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

Hi MJ,

Thanks for the quick informative reply.Your screenshots show exactly what I was looking at

OK so looks like I need to do a small UCS upgrade........but then do a VMware driver downgrade?

Seems a bit strange that Cisco would release a custom image 2 months ago which has newer drivers that aren't supported yet

Hi @rchaseling,

If you go for higher firmware version i.e. 4.0(1) you will find those drivers. 

image.png

So to answer your question: OK so looks like I need to do a small UCS upgrade........but then do a VMware driver downgrade?

Yes, you have to downgrade the driver else upgrade the blade firmware to 4.0(1). 

Hope this helps. Please rate !

Regards,

MJ

Thanks

4.0 does not support some older M2 blades we have so won't be going there. Appreciate the advise - I'm downgrading as we speak

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card