cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USC Mini 5108 Ethernet interface descriptions

BENJAMIN ADAMS
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UCS Mini 5108 Chassis with B200-M4 blades.  Is there a way to assign descriptions to the Ethernet interfaces while in the NXOS Shell?  I have not found a way to set the description on the ports in the CLI.  The reason for wanting to do this is so that the monitoring tool I use which uses SNMP can read the interface description and place it in on bandwidth graphs. 

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Benjamin

The NX-OS CLI only allows read only commands ! same limitation applies for snmp.

Walter.

Do you know if there is a way to assign descriptions in the UCSM gui?

If you go into the interface under the Equipment Tab > Fabric Interconnect > Fixed Module > Ethernet Ports > Port X > Show Interface, there is a User Label option:

Not sure if this would work for SNMP and your use case, but you can assign a label here for the interface.

HTH,

Wes

Thanks for the input.  Interesting thing is when I go to that same place in UCSM, the User Label field is not available for the Fixed Ethernet Ports but it is for the Scalability Ports.  To check that it wasn't something with my account I logged as the UCSM Admin and had the same result.

What I would really like to be able to do is set a description on the VIF's but it does not appear possible.  I'll find another way to display that.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card