cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN deletion stops all traffic on UCS Blades

cdalrymple71
Level 1
Level 1

I was helping a colleague add a new VLAN to an existing Service template, so the VLAN was added to the relevant section  and enabled on the vNIC. We ran into an issue and decided to remove/re-add the VLAN just to verify the creation. I removed the VLAN from the 'LAN'>'VLAN' section and shortly afterwards we started getting notifications of issues with all our blades (26 across 4 chassis). I've since discovered that the correct procedure was to disable the VLAN on the vNIC template, then delete the VLAN , as detailed here 

however we discovered that *ALL* traffic was stopped, including traffic from the vHBA. Can amyone offer up an explanation around why all traffic was affected.

For reference we're currently running UCS Manager 2.2(3b)

1 Reply 1

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend having a TAC case opened if you have logging available during the time of the failure or if you are in a situation where you can reproduce the issue.

2.2.3 is a little bit older firmware version, although I am not sure of any known defects that outline this behavior.

Are you sure that the vHBA actually went offline from a server perspective and didnt just appear offline from the hypervisor after losing network connectivity?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card