Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question regarding c210 install

Karthik Kumar Thatikonda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I have installed UCS C series server and able to access CIMC. But, when I try to install ESXi vsphere, I am not able to launch virtual media from Virtual KVM console. On the console, I have this error message. Can anyone explain how to fix this issue?.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Thanks,

Karthik.

6 Replies 6

Ignacio Orozco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I crossed referenced this error with other cases.  You may have a bad RAID controller and/or bad hard drive(s).  

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Karthik,

Are you attempting to PXE boot ESXi?

Or are you trying to install ESXi via an .ISO image? I believe you're attempting this method, so I suggest that you check your boot order and ensure that the virtual CD is higher in the boot order than the network adapter.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks,

Michael

I verified that boot order is pointing to virtual media but still same behavior. While booting up, on the console I saw that ROM BIOS is not installed, BIOS for adapter 0 is disabled and BIOS for adapter 1 is disabled messages. Earlier, I was able to access the GUI using CIMC but now it is not working either. Any inputs appreciated?

There is a front panel connector for KVM access to the box.  You will need a dongle for that.

I have enabled on board RAID to SWRAID, but when I run the UCS server configuration utility, I am seeing RAID configuration greyed out. Am I missing anything?

Karthik,

Sound like you have a couple issues.

1) Unable to launch virtual media - which sounds like you've resolved if you've launched the SCU utiility.  Please confirm if this is now working.

2) Issue with RAID controller.  Can you detail which controller you have?

If you're using the onboard LSI controller you have the BIOSO set correctly - "SWRAID".  If you're using an LSIMegaRAID controller, you'll need the BIOS setting for "Enhanced" SATA mode.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card