Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyper-v iSCSI boot and iSCSI data lun access

dreambull
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

For Hyper-v is it possible to access the iSCSI data lun through the same vNIC thats used for boot luns?

I have a hyper-v host boot from IP SAN through two vNIC ( iSCSI-A and iSCSI-B) with vlan 20 and 21 respectively. Now I need the hyper-v hosts to see the data lun I created on the storage. Do I need to create another 2 vNIC ( iscsi-data-A, iscsi-data-B) with vlan 20 and 21 and assign an IP address to these vNIC to access the data lun from the storage? is there a best practice for this. or can I use the same vNIC ( iSCSI-A and iSCSI-B) to access the data lun.

Is it ok to assign an IP address to the vNIC created for boot luns ( iSCSI-A and iSCSI-B) to access the data luns, someone told me hyper-v host will lost connection , is that true?

Any suggestions.

Jibby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can.

We use Boot from iSCSI. We have created two iSCSI vNICs and two iSCSI overlaying vNICs on top of them to make Boot from iSCSI possible. The OS boots from those vNIC's and also connects to the other LUNs (like Cluster Share Volumes). These vNICs are presented as normal network interfaces in the OS.

We also use iSCSI-A and iSCSI-B (as iSCSI_Eth0 and iSCSI_Eth1 in the Service Profile) and and use MPIO (Multi-Path I/O). That works just fine. I don't know what kind of storage device you use. But it is important that you configure the boot LUN with LUN ID 0. And your other LUNs with another LUN ID (e.g. 1 or 2).

So you can use only those two vNIC for you boot and data LUN. What you should not do: Do not create a Virtual Switch on those vNICs. For VMs to have iSCSI connection create seperate vNICs. I think that is what people warned you about.

I hope this information is usefull for you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can.

We use Boot from iSCSI. We have created two iSCSI vNICs and two iSCSI overlaying vNICs on top of them to make Boot from iSCSI possible. The OS boots from those vNIC's and also connects to the other LUNs (like Cluster Share Volumes). These vNICs are presented as normal network interfaces in the OS.

We also use iSCSI-A and iSCSI-B (as iSCSI_Eth0 and iSCSI_Eth1 in the Service Profile) and and use MPIO (Multi-Path I/O). That works just fine. I don't know what kind of storage device you use. But it is important that you configure the boot LUN with LUN ID 0. And your other LUNs with another LUN ID (e.g. 1 or 2).

So you can use only those two vNIC for you boot and data LUN. What you should not do: Do not create a Virtual Switch on those vNICs. For VMs to have iSCSI connection create seperate vNICs. I think that is what people warned you about.

I hope this information is usefull for you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Boudewijn, it was helpfull.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: