cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOM upgrade during outage?

mdrudge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!  I have two chassis, one with 2204XP IOMs and one with 2208XP IOMs, and I would like to upgrade them to 2304XP IOMs (we have 6332-16UP FIs and already have one chassis with 2304XP IOMs on the domain).  Soon we will be moving this domain to a new colo site.  What issues do you think would happen if I just swapped these IOMs after the chassis are unplugged during the move, and plug them in using their new 40-gig connections once they are in their new location?  Will the FIs recognize the chassis as being the same, since the chassis serial no. is the same, or will they end up being re-numbered?  I am hoping then the service profiles will apply without manual intervention once the IOMs are upgraded, and that UCS will associate each of these blades with the correct slot numbers.  Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would [Decommission] the chassis and [unconfigure] the ports of the FI and [Delete] the chassis before shutting down the Fabric Interconnects at DC1.

Once the same chassis is connected (with new IOMs) at DC2, then the chassis would be discovered anew.

The UCS Service Profiles should have no issues associating to the same blades.

If the blades are using VIC 1340 for an MLOM, then would need an inexpensive port-expander to enjoy the full native 40Gbps to each blade.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would [Decommission] the chassis and [unconfigure] the ports of the FI and [Delete] the chassis before shutting down the Fabric Interconnects at DC1.

Once the same chassis is connected (with new IOMs) at DC2, then the chassis would be discovered anew.

The UCS Service Profiles should have no issues associating to the same blades.

If the blades are using VIC 1340 for an MLOM, then would need an inexpensive port-expander to enjoy the full native 40Gbps to each blade.

Thanks, Steven.  I'm sorry I'm kind of slow at responding to these, even though I really appreciate the response.  This makes sense.  I'm just wondering, does that mean I need to disassociate the service profiles from the blades before decomming the chassis?  I'm using UCS Central for configuration, if that matters.  I'm just wondering if I plug in the chassis in the correct order, the service profiles will associate to the correct blades automatically, or if I will have to manually associate.  I'm just trying to plan this out so I can have somewhat accurate timings.  Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card