Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing Issue With and extra Processor UCS C240

ernesto.esquer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got a Question what license is needed?  If we upgraded a UCSC-C240-M4S2 with a second processor and 64GB extra of RAM.

The actual license we got  is VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 "Cisco UC Virt. Hypervisor 5.x (2-socket)"

I got this message when we add the second processor

“Vmware ESX license Has expired. The following features are no longer available “

*Up to 8-way Virtual SMP

When re-added the “VMW-VS5-HYP-K9” Master serial number of the license I got this message:

“The license key entered does not have enough capacity for this entity”

So I think is a license problem I need to know what license is missing to enable have the full capabilities of the UCS bundle with the new hardware added.

The new hardware configuration is:

UCSC-240-M4S2

24 CPUS x 2.499 GHZ

Processos Sockets : 4

Corer per Socket: 6

Logical Proccesors: 48

128GB RAM

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

With the V3 processors on the M4 platform there is a setting that VMware 5.5 is not completely compatible with, and as a result it counts 2x as many physical sockets.

Your server has 2 physical sockets, but yet VMsphere is reporting you have 4, hence the licensing issue.

You need to go into the BIOS settings of the M4 Server and
manually disable COD (Cluster On Die feature) in the Advanced Tab

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/504902

ESXi 5.1 with patch ESXi510-201407001 and ESXi 5.5 Update 2 do not support the Cluster-On-Die feature on Intel Xeon processor E5 v3 series

vSphere does not support the Cluster-On-Die feature on Intel Xeon processor E5 v3 series.
Workaround: ESXi 5.1 with patch ESXi510-201407001 and ESXi 5.5 
Update 2 systems must have the Cluster-On-Die feature on Intel Xeon processor E5 
v3 series disabled because it is currently not supported by vSphere.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/whitepaper_C11-733130.html

Thanks,

Kirk

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card