Views
Helpful
Replies

NetApp FAS3140 to SAN Switch Connectivity- Recommendation

K P SIM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

Is there any recommendation with regard to the connectivity of NetApp FAS3140 Storage Processor Ports to a SAN Switch in a UCS environment?

Assuming 2 Fabric Interconnects, 2 SAN Switches like Nexus 5010 and 1 NetApp FAS3140 Filer

Example:

-------------

NetApp FAS3140A Storage Controller 1 - Port 1 & 2

NetApp FAS3140A Storage Controller 2 - Port 1 & 2

Q1. Should I connect FC Uplinks from say Fabric Interconnect A to the 2 ports of Storage Controller 1 assuming I have 2 FC Uplinks from my FInterconnect?

OR

Q2. Should I connect 1 FC Uplink from my Fabirc Interconnect A to 1 of the 2 ports of Storage Controller 1 and another FC Uplink to the 1 of the 2 ports of Storage Controller 2? It is said to be in BOW-TIE fashion in some documents.

Thanks.

Sim

5 Replies 5

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

KP,

What we recommnded is from your storage array, you will want to perform the "bow-tie" cabling like you mentioned.  From the FI's(6100) you should connect one for one, FI-A going into one fabric switch and FI-B going to the other fabric switch.  I am assuming you are having more than one connection from the 6100's to the fabric switches?

rewilkin wrote:

KP,

What we recommnded is from your storage array, you will want to perform the "bow-tie" cabling like you mentioned.  From the FI's(6100) you should connect one for one, FI-A going into one fabric switch and FI-B going to the other fabric switch.  I am assuming you are having more than one connection from the 6100's to the fabric switches?

Hi, rewikin:

Assuming 2 FC links from each FI i.e. FI-A & FI-B

Definitely, FI-A MUST go to 1 fabric, say VSAN 10, assume the following connectivity:

1. Conventional Setup

------------------------------

Uplink FC 1 from FI-A goes to Port 1 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

Uplink FC 2 from FI-A goes to Port 2 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

and FI-B MUST go to 2nd fabric, say VSAN 20, assume the following connectivity:

Uplink FC 1 from FI-B goes to Port 1 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

Uplink FC 2 from FI-B goes to Port 2 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

2. Bow-Tie Setup

------------------------

VSAN 10

=======

Uplink FC 1 from FI-A goes to Port 1 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

Uplink FC 2 from FI-A goes to Port 1 of the Passive Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

VSAN 20

=======

Uplink FC 1 from FI-B goes to Port 2 of the Active Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

Uplink FC 2 from FI-A goes to Port 2 of the Passive Storage Controller (Dual-Port Per Controller)

======================================================================================================================

So my key question is still the following. Is there any authoritative and definite answer for Conventional and Bow-Tie Setup with regard to UCS SAN Boot?

How should I go about configuring the SAN Boot Target entries in UCS?

Should it have JUST 2 entries with WWPN of the SAN Boot Targets?

or

It MUST have 4 entries with WWPN of the SAN Boot Targets?

It is kind of related to my other post on similar topics.

David.Jarzynka
Level 1
Level 1

Sim,

that looks good. I did the same and it seem to work just fine with active/passive.

Cheers,

David

David:

Are you able to confirm with any Active-Passive Storage Array, the final configuration will be the following?

David.Jarzynka@siriuscom.com

Sim,

that looks good. I did the same and it seem to work just fine with active/passive.

Cheers,

David

David:

Can you please help to confirm with any Active-Passive Array, the UCS Boot Policy will be like the following:

vNIC       Type            WWN

SAN primary                                       vHBA1   primary

SAN Target primary                                      Primary       WWPN from Port 1 of Active Storage Controller

SAN Secondady                                vHBA2   secondary

SAN Target secondary                                  secondary  WWPN from Port 2 of Active Storage Controller

When will happen if the Active Storage Controller FAILS for some reasons, I presume the Passive Storage Controller WILL TAKE OVER/TREPASS, but in this case, there is no associated SAN Boot Target enties being defined for the Passive Storage Controller.

Do you get what I mean? That is the confusing part.

OR

SHOULD it be?

vNIC       Type            WWN

SAN primary                                       vHBA1   primary

SAN Target primary                                      primary       WWPN from Port 1 of Active Storage Controller

SAN Target secondary                                 secondary  WWPN from Port 2 of Active Storage Controller

SAN Secondary                                vHBA2   secondary

SAN Target primary                                       primary       WWPN from Port 1 of Passive Storage Controller

SAN Target secondary                                  secondary  WWPN from Port 2 of Passive Storage Controller

Can some storage experts please chip in?

Thanks.

Sim

Sim,

In my thoughts if should be like this for active/passive. This way all HBA have an active and a passive path

vHBA       Type         

SAN primary                                       vHBA0   primary
    SAN Target primary                                      primary      WWPN from Port 1 of Active Storage Controller
    SAN Target secondary                                  secondary  WWPN from Port 1 of Passive Storage Controller
SAN Secondary                                   vHBA1  secondary
   SAN Target primary                                       primary      WWPN from Port 2 of Active Storage Controller
   SAN Target secondary                                  secondary  WWPN from Port 2 of Passive Storage Controller

Cheers,

Dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card