Helpful
Replies

Replacing a UCS Blade and validating functionality

Quinn1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:  I was asked this on a questionnaire and didn't find an answer online:

Here is the scenario:

There is a failure on an existing Cisco UCS blade in the production VMware cluster. The error automatically escalated to Cisco TAC and a replacement blade delivered. You have to replace the blade and validate full functionality. Please describe what you would do to perform this task. Identify any applications you would need and any modified configurations for your process.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this an interview questions or from a practice test or something?

You would decommission the blade, swap any failed components, and re-discover the new blade into the chassis. Upon re-acknowledgement, the service profile is re-applied to the blade and it boots back up to the OS or however it is configured to boot. Its actually the beauty of "stateless computing" which is Cisco UCS.

Not sure of any "applications you would need and any modified configurations for your process."

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this an interview questions or from a practice test or something?

You would decommission the blade, swap any failed components, and re-discover the new blade into the chassis. Upon re-acknowledgement, the service profile is re-applied to the blade and it boots back up to the OS or however it is configured to boot. Its actually the beauty of "stateless computing" which is Cisco UCS.

Not sure of any "applications you would need and any modified configurations for your process."

to be honest it's an interview question.

I am not sure decommissioning/rediscovery is necessary. I had done this and a simple re-acknowledgement after the swap.was enough. (Of course the old disks had to be inserted in the new blade. ) 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card