cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 on UCS C24 M3 using Server Configuration Utility

sgossen
Level 4
Level 4

I've got the latest firmware, 3.0(4i), installed and I'm using the Server Configuration Utility version 5.0.3a. When I go into the OS Install and select Ubuntu, in the drop-down box, there are no choices for what Ubuntu version you wish to install, and therefore, I can't continue. For the record, CentOS does the same thing. All of the other choices have options in the drop down. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Goose

6 Replies 6

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried quick install option?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/Release_Notes_for_Cisco_C-Series_Server_Configuration_Utility_5_0_1.html#81046

Release 5.0(3)

This section lists the open caveats for Cisco UCS SCU, Release 5.0(3):

• CSCve83841

Symptom Custom installation of the Ubuntu 16.04 OS using the non-interactive SCU fails.

Workaround Use the quick install option.

There is no "quick install" option with Ubuntu. (I assume because I can't select a version.) I can select WINDOWS and then WINDOWS SERVER 2016, and then STANDARD edition, and then I have an option to select QUICK INSTALL. However, if I do that and then try to install Ubuntu Server 16.04, it fails.

Thanks,

Scot

I just tested this in the lab on C220-M3 running CIMC 3.0.1d and I can see Ubuntu 16.04 without issue. I am using SCU 5.0.3a.

Did you recently upgrade CIMC/BIOS on the server? Any changes you have made since purchasing the server?

I would try to roll it back to the latest 3.0.3 version and see if you have the same problem.

Yes. I recently upgraded to the latest firmware/BIOS. I just tried the 4.0.13a SCU, and i get the same results. (See attached pic.) The older 3.1.5i SCU doesn't give me an option of installing Ubuntu. If I just try to boot into the Ubuntu 16.04.2 installer, it runs a while, lets me select language, keyboard, IP info, etc., then reboots. I assume it's a RAID issue.

Thanks,

Goose

Do you see the RAID controller and the virtual and physical drives during POST? Have you created a virtual drive and set it as bootable?

I just created a RAID0 with 2 drives during my test.

Yes. (See attached.) This machine was previously running Windows Server 2008. I left the RAID settings as they were from that OS. Also, the RAID Adapter is set as the Boot Option #1. (See 2nd attachment.)

Thanks,

Goose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: