Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C220M3 - Installation VMWare 5.5 not Recognize Raid Controller

JRGC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I was trying to install VMWare 5.5 on Cisco UCS 220M3 but I can't, because in the process installation VM not recognized the RAID controller.

I've read the note below, but I'm confused because I don't understand if I need update the driver or install new hardware with the new RAID controller, somebody could explain to me ?

Note VMware ESX/ESXi or any other virtualized environments are not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller. Hypervisors such as Hyper-V, Xen, or KVM are also not supported for use with the embedded MegaRAID controller.

Reference Link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#80418

Regards,

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

The on-board sata controller which has the LSI software raid config, is not compatible with VMware ESXi.  Windows and certain versions of Linux have drivers for it, but even under those OSs that have support, it is not supported for virtualization purposes.

For VMware, you will need to get one of the listed raid controllers such as LSI 2008M, 9271-8i, 9266-8i found on the spec sheet:http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m3-sff-specsheet.pdf

These other SAS controllers will work with both Sata or SAS drives.

Thanks,

Kirk..

Hi Kirk J.

Thank you for your input.

I checked the link, so I need to buy the new Raid controller for continue the installation

Sincerely

Hi Kirk

I ordered the PCIe RAID controller ¨LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i¨ . So I know the this card going to install in Slot 2.

I have a question, When install the new Card I must change some configuration or only need install an official driver? taking into account that I have a RAID 1 

best regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card