cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Platform Emulator Setup

amercer00
Level 5
Level 5

Hello.  I'm new to the UCS Platform and have decided to install the UCS Platform Emulator to help me get started.  I just have a couple of questions about how to set it up.

1) The OVA file installed a VM with 3 virtual NICs.  I gave them all IP addresses (10.0.0.1-3).  I was just wondering why there are 3 of them?

2) I know that the blades don't support actually installing operating systems, so what is the KVM connection for?  Is it just to watch the blade being configured?

3) I can configure the ports on the Fabric Interconnects for Uplink or Storage, but is there an emulated upstream switch or storage array to actually connect to for testing, or no?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.  I can't wait to get started with the UCS Platform Emulator.  We will be configuring our Dev UCS soon and I wanted to start with the emulator first.

Allen

1 Reply 1

ericwill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) The OVA file installed a VM with 3 virtual NICs.  I gave them all IP addresses (10.0.0.1-3).  I was just wondering why there are 3 of them?

There are three because one NIC emulates the Virtual IP in UCS Manager, and the other two NICs emulate the interfaces for the fabric interconnects (A and B sides)

2) I know that the blades don't support actually installing operating systems, so what is the KVM connection for?  Is it just to watch the blade being configured?

The UCS Manager code in the UCS Platform Emulator is identical to what we ship in the real fabric interconnects.  We don't alter it to be part of UCSPE.  The only difference is that UCS Manager normally talks to the real hardware to get state, inventory, do config changes, etc. where the UCS Platform Emulator has a layer of emulation written and embedded in the VM to emulate the hardware communication between UCS Manager software and the hardware.  We want to provide as close as an experience to a real system in the UCS Platform Emulator, which is why we leave it as unaltered as humanly possible.

3) I can configure the ports on the Fabric Interconnects for Uplink or Storage, but is there an emulated upstream switch or storage array to actually connect to for testing, or no?

There is not today.  The main use cases for UCS Platform Emulator are API integrations, training, and testing.  It's a good request, but it's something we haven't done or tested today.`

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card