Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS SAN Boot with NetApp FAS3140

K P SIM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

Can some experts please help to clarify as I have been reading lot of conflicting information from various sources?

Q1. Is NetApp FAS3140A an Active-Passive Controller Storage Array? Some told me that it is an Active-Passive and others told me otherwise as it is configurable.

Example:

WWPN

Port 1                                               Port 2                                       Remark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storage Controller 1       50:06:01:60:44:60:01:A2              50:06:01:68:44:60:01:A2      Active Controller

Storage Controller 2       50:06:01:61:44:60:01:A2              50:06:01:69:44:60:01:A2      Passive Controller

Assume 2 Fabric Interconnects, 2 SAN Switches and 1 NetApp FAS 3140 Filer

Q2. If it is an Active-Passive Array, how should I configure SAN Boot Policy for UCS?

Is the following correct as seen in UCSM GUI after configuring?

vNIC                Type               Lun ID                WWN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should it be:SAN primary                             vHBA0             Primary            

SAN Target primary                                   Primary                 0                     Must this be the WWPN of Port 1 from Controller 1?

SAN Target secondary                              Secondary            0                     Must this be the WWPN of Port 2 from Controller 1?

SAN secondary                         vHBA1             Secondary

SAN Target primary                                   Primary                 0                     Must this be the WWPN of Port 1 from Controller 2?

SAN Target secondary                              Secondary            0                     Must this be the WWPN of Port 2 from Controller 2?

Thanks.

Sim

1 Reply 1

rewilkin
Level 1
Level 1

KP,

If you are going to have four paths, what you have listed is how you should have the boot policy setup.  One WWPN from each port on the controller for redudnancy.

Primary

:60

:69

Secondary

:61

:68

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card